What's new
What's new

Which single phase motor for a Heavy 10?

Zip

Aluminum
If one was to swap the 3 phase motor in a Heavy 10 for a 110 or 220 single phase which frame/motor would be the correct one.

Thanks

No idea but with the price of VFDs now I'd VFD the current motor before messing with a swap to single phase. I've been in love since I converted to VFD and added a little tachometer to my lathe, and I had to go out and buy the 3ph motor and fit it.

Small single phase motors can also have undesirable effects on lathes due to the one-lunger effect according to some.

If one was to swap the 3 phase motor in a Heavy 10 for a 110 or 220 single phase which frame/motor would be the correct one.

Thanks
None ... . . . .. . . . .use a VFD. Single phase motors cause finish issues in high gear because the motor accelerates and decelerates several times in a single motor revolution.

3/4 HP is all the flat belt can couple. You should buy a VFD that will handle 2HP.

Not many 2HP VFDs listed for 115V input, or 1.5hp for that matter; don't worry about not following this good advise if you are limited to 115V, you'll still be better off than running single phase.

A Heavy 10 will run quite happily on a single phase 1/2 to 3/4 HP motor, frame size commonly used is NEMA 56. However, think about going with a VFD and 3 phase motor of about the same HP. There's no need to go bigger because you can't transmit the power with the South Bend belt system.

A 1 HP rated VFD would be plenty large enough and they're available with 115 volt input. You could get by with smaller but the cost savings isn't that great.

or, if you look at the data plate on your motor, and if the frame size is the same as mine, I'll swap you even up for a single phase 120v motor, because I have 3 phase power to all the rest of my shop's tools, and my Heavy 10 feels inadequate just plugged into the wall...

Assume you have made the conversion to a VFD for phase conversion and speed control.
At that point do you just use the belt and pulley combination that gives the maximum spindle speed available and leave it there or is there more to it than that?

Back