What's new
What's new

Single Tumbler Gear Boxes....Noisy Little Buggers Aren't They?

Kevin T

Stainless
I've been getting familiar with my machine since finishing the re-fresh and the noisiest part of the machine is the QCGB. I found that it's the loudest when the arm is closest to the left end. Must be a build up of slop way over there. It's best on the right end, actually third from the end to my ear so that's where I plan on keeping it unless I need a certain thread. Is that what you all do? Also I fiddled with the set screws and nut that provide some kind of adjustment and quieted it down some. Is it better to make the adjustment with the top mounting screws loosened up? Any other tricks?

The adjuster on bottom right of quick change box. That's to help get a nice alignment of main lead screw through apron. Apron should glide nice and easy over that main lead screw.

I would just crack those top bolts loose on qcgb, run saddle back and forth feeling it. Keep in mind sliding gear assembly arm is also attached to qcgb, might need loosen and adjust that during.

I want to say if you get eye ball close to lead screw looking where it penetrates worm gear in apron, watch the gap all the way around. Might give you a little direction.

Gear on tumbler arm, if you disengage, can you move it up and down a lot ? That was probably my greatest source of noise, as gear tends to bind or catch teeth on other gears because its not real true. I know a repair ! :D

I normally keep the QCGB in that third position. If you read the lubricating instructions, that is where you want it when adding lubricant to the QCGB.

The noise changes as the speed goes up. So running with the selector "IN" makes more noise as well.

For me, the one that makes the most noise is when I run the lead screw in reverse.

For maximum noise, run feed screw in reverse, back gears engaged, fastest selection on the QCGB.

For fun and games, set up to cut 14TPI and then forget to move the dog drive from right to middle and getting 28 TPI instead. Luckly for me it was the first operation on that piece of stock so it wasn't that much wasted.

Back