What's new
What's new

Single tumbler heavy 10 geabox pic or info needed

Dcstang67

Plastic
To make a long story short, im modding my 13" change gear leadscrew to work with a heavy 10 single tumbler gearbox. I need to machine steps into the leadscrew for the bushing section, leadscrew gear section, and threaded nut gear retainer section. Does anyone have any pictures showing which gear on the cone that the leadscrew gear meshes with? Anyone have the dimensiins of these steps on the leadscrew? Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance

somewhere around here, I've got the end of a single tumbler screw that I cut off to install a double tumbler. I'll see if I can find it later today.

allan

somewhere around here, I've got the end of a single tumbler screw that I cut off to install a double tumbler. I'll see if I can find it later today.

allan

Thats awesome! How did you attach the new piece for the double tumbler to the leadscrew? I thought of making a seperate shaft and coupling it with my leadscrew, but figured machining the original down to keep it one piece would be better.

Well, I dug through my piles of lathe bits, but I could not find the leadscrew end. I sent the gear off to a new home, and probably threw in the scrap. Here's a pic of what the gear (and the two jam nuts) looks like (top row, just right of center)

singletumbler.JPG

When I did my double tumbler conversion, I did not have any specs, so I just reverse engineered it. I suppose you could do the same. You want to have the gear in-hand first.

allan

Well, if you are holding the gear, you can figure out where it goes just by holding it in place. It will be centered on the leadscrew bore, and it will only mesh properly in one place. From there, you take some measurements and start cutting!

allan

First off, i got the gearbox for free, and this is a very low budget upgrade. The heavy 10 has an 8tpi leadscrew, my 1919 13" has an 8tpi leadscrew. This itself will simplify all the parts needed to keep the feed chart on the gearbox accurate. All i had to do was swap out the stud gear on my reverse assembly to a 24 tooth heavy 10 gear, use an idler on another custom bracket to make the heavy 10 banjo gears reach the stud gear, and make a custom spacer to bring the gearbox down and out to line up with the leadscrew. Ill post pics once i have the whole lathe assembled again

Thats why i chose the heavy 10 box. Parts are easier to find than a 13". If i did have a 6tpi lead screw all that would need to be changed from what i did is use an 18 tooth stud gear instead of the 24 tooth.

If you dont use the 10 l gear box iwould like to buy it my lever broke off moving it.thanks

Back