What's new
What's new

Single Tumbler Quick Change Lever

Wherwilly

Plastic
New forum member and already in need of help. I recently acquired a 1930 South Bend 9” lathe with a single tumbler quick change gear box...its in good condition for the most part, except that some time in the past the tumbler lever and the idle gear broke off and have been lost...

Ideally I would like to find a replacement tumbler lever with gear, however if I could get a decent set of dimensions and tooth count for the idle gear I could have a gear made and fabricate the handle if necessary.

So if anyone could provide the idle gear dimensions (or where to source a replacement handle/gear) I would be grateful.

Thank you for any help ahead of time!

I will be having that gear made soon if you are not in a hurry.

BTW- it is a 26T 14DP x 14.5PA gear....I recommend you pull out the mating shaft(really a long gear) and take a close look at it....those two are the high wear items in a single tumbler gearbox.

You can also try Ted,

[email protected]

I’ll be making the gear for 10K, it’s not gonna be hard to make a few extras at the same time.

Naru, a new gear would be great! If you build them up let me know your asking price!

Iwananew10k, I haven’t taken the gear box completely apart just yet (still working through saddle/cross slide and tail stock). From what I can see spinning the gears around by hand, they have all their teeth, and don’t appear to be to terribly worn (considering their age).
I Will get a better look when I pull it apart though.

the "shaft gear" is really easy to pull,so easy in fact that anytime you move the machine I would recommend pulling it, as you already know the tumbler lever is very prone to breakage....its just a single taper pin on the right side to remove the securing collar and the shaft will slide right out to the left....verify your dimensions of the shaft, should be about .970" or so on the diameter around the teeth(12 teeth),...its high wear because of the crappy lube starved stud the gear on the tumbler lever goes on, with no real good way of getting lube to it,other than it dripping down.
it starts binding,gets sloppy and in turn starts wearing the shaft gear...the upper gears barring serious damage are usually in good enough condition to not warrant tearing the whole box apart.

Thank you iwananew10k. I have your reply printed and stashed next to my growing library of SB lathe tips, tricks and suggestions. ;). After I get the saddle completed and the tail stock, removing the gear box is next. Break it down, check for wear, replace or rebuild as needed, new felts, etc..

Where is (or is there) a good source you know/recommended for replacement gears? Or just have them fabricated locally?

At the moment just the idler gear that is supposed to be on the tumbler handle. The one that moves with the handle. The gear is labeled as part# 605 on the attached diagram.03124A7D-C7D7-4D1E-AD4F-9D2E6025F806.jpg

ok, that's the 27T, but pull the shaft to verify....when you pull the shaft hold on to the broken part of the tumbler lever (if it's there) because it will fall out once the shaft clears it.

when Stephen replied in post 3 by 10K he was referring to me and not the 10K lathe....so if yours IS the same as mine he could make your gear at the same time.

Pics of the machine, and of your broken part will also go a long way to clear any possible confusion.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention include the model number/catalog designation too.

and I must apologize, I have been saying its a 26T gear but it is a 27T gear!
they just got out of the parts cleaner and I rechecked...3 times.:)

it should be about 2.070" in diameter and the 12T shaft gear should be about 1" in diameter.

Dag. i can't edit my edit all my previous posts...I hate posting bad info.

27T, got it. :) I am the last person to complain about a goof up! I m new to Lathes and I am on a steep learning curve here so you don’t have to worry about criticism from me!

I am on shift this weekend and will try to sneak out to the shop tomorrow or Tuesday and get pictures and info from my lathe to be posted here.

I do have one image from the day I picked up the Lathe looking up into the gear box. The sleeve that the tumbler handle broke loose from is at the lower left of the image. The gears themselves “look” good. None broken or excessively worn. 1A4C6D1E-B13A-45FB-8A37-3A289E66E3D6.jpg

Of course that assessment could change pretty dramatically after tear down...

CA89C5EB-DD39-4FBF-A7E2-F1495E4C89C6.jpg672DECFB-DAE7-4F06-89C5-24874DFF20CE.jpg

Here are a couple pictures of gear box housing and the lathe. The lathe is a model 780-Y
9” swing/3’ bed.

No top plate on gear box. I am debating making a tray for it. I like the idea of having a little do-dad holder. The drive unit was pretty much shot. :( Bearings on the main pulley were worn enough to make tracking the drive belt difficult. The lathe came with a 1/2 hp 3 phase motor (not original, just a add on from the seller), so I am using a vfd and building a semi direct drive...

Wherwilly...I think I may have a win/win proposition....Stephen will be making the gear...now, I have to get out to the shed to be sure it's still there but I think I have that big lever....

Since you also need the same gear, you buy your gear(s) from Stephen, and I will give you the lever...maybe even a top plate, don't hold me to it yet, but I'm pretty sure they are sitting on that 10L chip pan in my shed.

What say you? If it works out, you buy a gear(s)and magically it will show up attached to a tumbler lever.:)

Last edited:
Did you get the message I sent here? Should be a red number under "notifications" at the top of your page by where your screen name is.

BTW- the lever was still there, frigging shed is like a time capsule, didn't see the gearbox top plate but there's no light and I'm half blind, but on the positive I'm also half not.:)

Will take another looky in better light....full disclosure- It looks like it may have been repaired ages ago, but is a functional piece, the machine it came off was still running.....a little polishing on the stud and its bore to get it turning free,a new felt strip, and maybe run a brake cylinder hone through the 1" bore to remove any burrs and Bobs your uncle.:)

image.jpg

Last edited:

Back