What's new
What's new

Small spindle 13" collet closer.

Halligan

Aluminum
Ok so I have a small spindle 13(1 7/8 thread). These lathes use 2a collets. I managed to find and purchase a lever collet closer, spindle protector, spindle adaptor, and a fairly large selection of collets that came off of a small spindle 10" lathe a while back. Now obviously the draw tube is too short, but that's a pretty easy fix. My problem is it did not come with a mounting arm and there is supposed to be an extended gear that would fit on the spindle to encase that woodruff key. Pretty sure I can just fab up a collar and press it on the spindle because there's enough room. Does anyone have a lever set up on a small spindle 13 that could shoot me a couple pictures of the spindle interface and the length of the mounting arm? I'm sure I could trial and error it and figure it out but just trying to save a headache.

Attachments

• IMG_20200330_203008.jpg
    IMG_20200330_203008.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20200330_202949.jpg
    IMG_20200330_202949.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 30
Be careful with that nose cap.You will need a shoulder ring to keep the threads from jamming on your spindle nose which is longer than the one on the R lathe.I had one of those caps, and made a ring for it,but was afraid I would forget the ring some time and mess up the cap.So I made a nice bronze cap from a valve part, and sold the authentic one to someone with an R lathe.
Go ahead and make a draw tube that fits the collets Leave it long and put a handwheel on it to get you going with your collets. I use mine often.

Be careful with that nose cap.You will need a shoulder ring to keep the threads from jamming on your spindle nose which is longer than the one on the R lathe.I had one of those caps, and made a ring for it,but was afraid I would forget the ring some time and mess up the cap.So I made a nice bronze cap from a valve part, and sold the authentic one to someone with an R lathe.
Go ahead and make a draw tube that fits the collets Leave it long and put a handwheel on it to get you going with your collets. I use mine often.

Yup I did the same for the time being until I make a new one.

Back