What's new
What's new

Soft flooring...

tonnyandre09

Plastic
Good Evening chaps

I really appreciate all of your replys on my last post. I am about to mount it all back together now, but have noticed the floor in my workshop is very soft and flexible. It is chipboard on beams. Is this something to worry about? My SB9 clone stands on two heavy cast iron legs and a 8mm u beam at top where the lathe goes.
Want it somewhat level, but little as possible of twist in the bed and from what I have read thats where is gets problematic with my soft wooden floor? Any idea or solutions?

Sent fra min LYA-L29 via Tapatalk

By chipboard I hope you mean OSB

I think these things:

Near the wall the average floor is stiffer than in the middle, keep the lathe near the wall

If you set the legs on say, 2x4s that run cross the floor joists, it will help take up some of the movement

A wood floor is moving and you should probably keep an eye on the level form time to time. It will move around a bit

If you had it setup on a substantial cabinet, that might keep twist down on a fairly light lathe

So if I got to the beams and strenghtem them and a thick plywood sheet on top it would be ok?

So if I got to the beams and strenghtem them and a thick plywood sheet on top it would be ok?

I would think that is as OK as you are going to get without ripping out floor and pouring concrete:D. A friend uses an old portable school building for his shop, he cuts holes in floor and forms pads for his heavier machines.

I suppose that could be a option as well since my workshop is in the apartment I live in and there is a concrete floor under the wooden floor. Alot of work though...

I just rent the apartment so could not open it up and make a concrete foundation. The floor was a bit better than I thought and is 2x6 beams and 3/4 chipboard. So I made a double layer of dry plank across the beams and across those again. Used plenty of screws and glue so this will have to do for now. Certainly must be better?
e6b24a29696a3efa8bbbb5209e21bb96.jpg

Back