What's new
What's new

soft jaws

coyotechet

Cast Iron
Have been using aluminum bands of different diameters. I just decided that I needed some soft jaws. South Bend Heavy 10, 6 inch Bison 4 jaw chuck. They are a press on tight fit and take little effort to remove.

Chet

soft jaws.jpgsoft jaws 1.jpg

Beautiful late and nice chuck!

Nice idea! Are you using them with a spider in the back? I would be worried over using that short clamp length without any additional support. Please post a picture of the rest of the lathe. The little i see looks awesome.

Last edited:
Rear Spider

Beautiful late and nice chuck!

Nice idea! Are you using them with a spider in the back? I would be worried over using that short clamp length without any additional support. Please post a picture of the rest of the lathe. The little i see looks awesome.

Thanks for the kind words and sorry for the slow reply. My life long good friend past a way and have been busy helping the family.

Rear Spider.jpgHeavy 10.jpg

Very nice. You use that for gun work I'm guessing? I think I might have to steal your idea for my 4 jaw. :drool5:

Was looking through your pics again...does you micrometer stop allow a dial indicatorto be setup through it?

Yes I got the idea from here on PM. The best tool I ever made. It is settable to zero at any point. I have since made a better base clamp which allows me to set the stop some what over the QC which then allows me to get closer to the head stock when using collets
Here is a blow up of parts and a close up of the travel stop.

travel stop 1.jpg
TS.jpg

That's super cool. So the micrometer stop just adjusts the zero of the dial indicator, right? The DI is permanent with the stop so if you wanted to use it as a micrometer stop again you just ignore the DI which would max out until it bottoms out on the micro stop, right? Just want to make sure I understand it correctly. That probably sounds more confusing than it really is.

Here's what I did for soft jaws:

file.php

Steve

The dial indicator can be set to zero at any place along its two inch length and just adjust the micrometer stop. It can be set to travel just .250 or the full 2.000 of travel. Or not use the indicator at all just use the micrometer.

Steve I like your soft jaws but my soft jaws where made to hold a rifle barrel and allow it to pivot in the jaws when adjusting the cats head at the end of the headstock spindle. When adjusting the cats head screws you want to move the barrel to center it not bend it to center at is why the jaws have a small contact surface at both ends.
Chet

Back