What's new
What's new

source for replacement screws

vicfi

Plastic
Looking for replacement slotted (maybe hex if possible) replacement screws for the rear lead screw bracket. Rebuilding my South Bend 9a as it appears no one has changed its wicks in its life. The bracket screws have been giving me a fight and I buggered up them in the process. Thanks

I don't know what size they are for a 9a, but expect regular American standard thread sizes, imperial, not commie metric :D.

You might search ebay when you determine size and length under South Bend 9 parts, but sellers usually want stupid prices for hardware.

A regular bolt head probably won't work as I guess there is a minor counter bore that bolt head fits into. What would work are allen head cap screws. Any hardware store, grainger, Mcmaster carr etc.

Once lathe is operational, if you want original looking screws, then you can make them and replace whatever you use in the meantime.

Send me a PM (with mailing address) and I will send a set of correct-size Allen head low-profile cap screws to you for left and right side of lead screw. They are regular 5/16-18 by 1" thread size. No commie stuff!

And as Texas Gunny says, you can replace with original slotted at a later date if you so desire.
Remember, heat is your friend in removing these screws!

PMc

View attachment 308911 View attachment 308912

Send me a PM (with mailing address) and I will send a set of correct-size Allen head low-profile cap screws to you for left and right side of lead screw. They are regular 5/16-18 by 1" thread size. No commie stuff!

And as Texas Gunny says, you can replace with original slotted at a later date if you so desire.
Remember, heat is your friend in removing these screws!

PMc

View attachment 308911 View attachment 308912

A few taps with a manual impact and a larger flathead bit on my impact driver got them out! That's a beautiful lathe! I'll most likely be painting mine while I have it apart.

A few taps with a manual impact and a larger flathead bit on my impact driver got them out! That's a beautiful lathe! I'll most likely be painting mine while I have it apart.

So what you are looking for is a fillister screw. if I remember they are 5/16 -18..
I had one that was broken when I rebuilt my lathe. I just took a 5/16 socket head and turned the head down to fit the hole. I may have had to take a little off the height of the head too.

Lathe make mine look like i just drug it of the junkyard!:( I had a bolt ever more froze up in my apron, tried heat, tried impact screw drivers, ( broke three tips) finally used my mag drill, did some farm machining, mill/drill the head off it, pull apron off cleaned up the stud sticking out and was able to get on it with a small pipe wrench. for the life of me i can't remember what size i put back in there, the head was a little bit smaller but i figured 1 out of 4 wouldn't hurtmag drill.jpg

Lathe make mine look like i just drug it of the junkyard!:( I had a bolt ever more froze up in my apron, tried heat, tried impact screw drivers, ( broke three tips) finally used my mag drill, did some farm machining, mill/drill the head off it, pull apron off cleaned up the stud sticking out and was able to get on it with a small pipe wrench. for the life of me i can't remember what size i put back in there, the head was a little bit smaller but i figured 1 out of 4 wouldn't hurt

Thanks for the compliments. Yes, those bolts can be a bitch sometimes, and originals
often get bungled up past hope of reuse. I don't know the size of your lathe, so I'm
not sure the bolt size on the apron or on the ways. The correct size for 9" and 10" lathes
are 5/16-18 x 1" for the two ends of the lathe to hold lead screw bearings and/or gear
boxes. For the two bolts holding the apron to the saddle, the size is 3/8-16 x 1".
For the small screws holding the rack under the ways, the size is 8/32 x three-quarter
long.

I'll be more than happy to send you a set to use until you get the originals replaced (or just to use forever). These are low-profile cap screws as seen in the photos. I'd probably use some anti-seize on the threads going back in.

Just send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll make it happen....but check to make sure these are the correct size for your machine tho. I also straightened your photo of
the mag drill. Those are damned useful to have when needed!

PMc

View attachment 310050 View attachment 310092

Last edited:

Back