What's new
What's new

Source for Spindle Bearings 1940's 10L

f66

Plastic
Good Morning,

Searched the forum archives and did not see the answer to my question:

I have a 1940's 10L with the bronze Spindle bearings. From this forum, they should be the following part numbers:

Rear Bearing. AS512R2
Front Bearing. AS511R2

So I called Grizzley, South Bend Parts and they told me these parts are discontinued.

Is anyone making the bearings and the spreaders?

Thanks in advance.

Frank

iwananew10k, I am posting pictures of the front and rear bearings with the bearing caps removed. Previous owner had clamped the spreaders over the bearing making the indentations you can see. My thoughts with purchasing and installing new bearings is with care they should last for years to come. I have some leads on new bearings, but may try to use what is currently installed while the search continues. What do you all think, the spreaders seem to be in good shape, Maybe the current bearings can be used? Thanks for your assistance.

Attachments

• SB 10L Side View.jpg
    SB 10L Side View.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 245
  • 10L Front Spindle Bearing.jpg
    10L Front Spindle Bearing.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 182
  • 10L Rear Spindle Bearing.jpg
    10L Rear Spindle Bearing.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 200
a LOT of the time they can be salvaged...suggest posting pics of the damage...it's an issue many members have dealt with.

You may also try Ted,

[email protected]

I am posting pictures of my bearings. The previous owner mounted the spreaders OVER the bearing causing the indentations you can see in the photos. What do you think? Do these bearings look salvageable?

Thanks for looking and for the advice.
FrankView attachment 257953View attachment 257954

Attachments

• 10L Rear Spindle Bearing (600x800).jpg
    10L Rear Spindle Bearing (600x800).jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 10L Front Spindle Bearing (600x800).jpg
    10L Front Spindle Bearing (600x800).jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 99
yes, I think so, but he really put the smash on them,.....members have used both peening and filing to make them functional again, sometimes a combination of both....,looks like you got nothin to lose by trying.....and can watch eBay in the meanwhile, until something pops up.

I want to share a great experience and support from members of this forum. I posted earlier about sources for spindle bearings for my SB Lathe. I am posting them to aide others who are looking for current sources as of July 2019. The forum tips led me to these sources for the bearings and shims.

For used bearings and expanders try: Ted at: [email protected] or ring him up at telephone number: 574-291-2349. He had a good used set at the time I contacted him.

For new bearings try:

Miller Machine and Fabrication
61 SE 300 Ave
Carrollton IL, 62016
618-946-0793
[email protected]

Brian Miller made a set for me, and also made extras.

For a spindle bearing change you will probably need shims. I got mine from Greg at FSH designs, 714 584 4FSH. [email protected]

I can overstate how professional each of these guys are, and how much I appreciate them and their service.
Frank

Pictures of new and old bearings and pictures of removing the bearings

I am attaching reference pictures of the new and old bearings. The new bearings made by Miller Machine installed perfectly, and run smooth and cool. in a follow on thread I will post the installation and service instructions that were provided to me.

SB Lathe New Bearings Comparison 7.jpgSB Lathe Rear Gear Removal 9.jpgSB Lathe Bull Gear Removal 8.jpg

yes, I think so, but he really put the smash on them,.....members have used both peening and filing to make them functional again, sometimes a combination of both....,looks like you got nothin to lose by trying.....and can watch eBay in the meanwhile, until something pops up.

I want to share the great experience I have had with help from Forum members in my efforts to source and install bearings in my old South Bend Lathe. The following source for spindle bearings and the headstock shims follow:

For used bearings try Ted at: [email protected] or ring him up at telephone number: 574-291-2349.

The rear bearing is AS512R2. The front bearing is AS511R2. Ted had at least one set of used bearings June 2019.

For new bearings contact Brian at:
Miller Machine and Fabrication
61 SE 300 Ave
Carrollton IL, 62016
618-946-0793
[email protected]

For the required Headstock shims, contact Greg at 714 584 4FSH. [email protected]

I cannot overstate the professionalism and great service these members provided me. They each patiently answered my questions, Brian made bearings to order for me. As of July 2019, he has new bearings in stock.

I hope this information is usefule to other members. Frank

Frank, looks like you went about your bearing renewal in a calm and workmanlike manner. You have learned that the Green Bear doesn't really have anything for our old SB lathes, but the SB Community does. Have fun running it now.

south bend spindle bearings

Thanks for the kind words Frank. It has been several years since I had made spindle bearings. But I had kept all my fixtures. Then Frank and a couple of other members contacted me about making them.
With enough orders it was worth the time to do it. So as always I made two extra sets. So if any one else is in need i have them. The cost for the bearings and expanders is $300.00 plus shipping. Once I sell these I will wait till I have a least four more orders on hand before I make another run of parts. Thanks
Brian Miller
millermachineandfabrication.com

Back