Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by texasgunsmith View Post
    My 2-H looks like this, guessing 70chall440's is the same:

Attachment 270558Attachment 270557Attachment 270556
    How do you thread without a lead screw?, seems like a missing compound is the least of your worries. I have a compound but only use it for turning short tapers. Threading without a compound is easy, it's the only way I do it. What really makes it easy is the carbide inserts they have now that are full form with crest control. When I started nothing like that was available so I hand ground my own tooling. You don't need a thread dial, just withdraw the tool and reverse the spindle to get the tool back to the starting point, do not open the half nuts. This is mostly the only way I thread on a manual lathe. I don't want to hear the BS about it being slow, if you want speed do the job on a CNC or an automatic screw machine.

Post Thanks / Like

How do you thread without a lead screw?
    Came with one - though not installed in most recently posted photos (Post #20)

Also has half nuts

Description (paragraph 3) states it has feeds and cuts threads
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sb-2h-turret.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    How do you thread without a lead screw?, seems like a missing compound is the least of your worries.
    Lol, those were old pics I used to just to show compound. I took them while building the lathe up originally. It looks more like this now:

22.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes my 2-H is the same, the cross slide has the aforementioned 3 T slots and is higher than I would assume "normal" is. I am looking at some cross slides for things like a Smithy but I need to know how high they are, I sent Smithy a message but haven't heard back. Basically I need about 2.75" from the top of my cross slide for a tool post (QCTP) which will give me enough adjustment to center a tool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 70chall440 View Post
    Let me say up front that I am very new to machining/turning, so please be tear me up too fast. I have a SB 2-H (16" swing with a turret). This lathe has a straight T slot carriage and I am investigating how to thread on the machine. I notice that most lathes have compound rests and I think pretty much every video I have watched on threading shows using a compound. I have searched for a compound for my machine but have not found anything specific to a 2-H or 16" SB. My questions are;

1. do I need a compound? I am sure I could thread without one, however it does seem a lot harder w/o one.
    2. where would I get a compound?
    3. Are there other models that are compatible? I have found quite a few 9" and 10" bases on eBay, but not a lot of the actual compound (top).

Thanks in advance for any responses.
    Some 25 years ago, I bought a Southbend 16" turret lathe that had been at a school and was bought new by the school...It has a double tumbler gear box which is a plus. I bought most of what I needed to convert the machine to an engine lathe From Dave Sobel in New Jersey.. I bought a compound rest, a cross slide, tail stock and a taper attachment...I purchased a chasing dial from Southbend as well... The bed ways on the machine were in perfect shape as it had not been used much....The head stock pulleys are different on a turret lathe though as the Southbend 16 turret lathe has three steps where the engine lathe has four...Everything was tight on the machine including the split nut and lead screw....The reason the guy sold the machine was that he had contacted Southbend and gotten prices for all the items needed from them new.. He was honest and gave me the itemized list along with prices but it was so nice that I couldn't pass it up..After all, it is only five years younger than me.. Cheers; Ramsay 1

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sounds like you got a good machine. I may have solved the cross slide issue somewhat as I think I found a small hobby cross slide that will bolt to my carriage but we will see. All this said, I really like the machine but it is steep learning curve but a fun one. I have been using the machine a fair amount recently (used it last night in fact) and i does what it is supposed to do. I do think the bearing in the cross slide is worn out, its seems that each increment is like .002 (?) or so and the distance between numbered points is around .027/.030".

For quite awhile I could not figure out how to lock the turret/tail stock to the bed, but I recently figured out out; tightening the lower clamping bolts. Definitely not a convenient method but it is what it is I guess. I don't do production work so it is very unlikely I would ever need to lock the turret in place for a prolonged time, but thats the machine I have.

Here is a question that perhaps someone can answer, when I first turn on the machine in low, it turns fine, but if I go to "high" it actually slows down (sounds like it is trying to speed up but isn't), however if I let it run for a few minutes and then flip it to high, it will then speed up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sounds like you got a good machine. I may have solved the cross slide issue somewhat as I think I found a small hobby cross slide that will bolt to my carriage but we will see. All this said, I really like the machine but it is steep learning curve but a fun one. I have been using the machine a fair amount recently (used it last night in fact) and i does what it is supposed to do. I do think the bearing in the cross slide is worn out, its seems that each increment is like .002 (?) or so and the distance between numbered points is around .027/.030".

For quite awhile I could not figure out how to lock the turret/tail stock to the bed, but I recently figured out out; tightening the lower clamping bolts. Definitely not a convenient method but it is what it is I guess. I don't do production work so it is very unlikely I would ever need to lock the turret in place for a prolonged time, but thats the machine I have.

Here is a question that perhaps someone can answer, when I first turn on the machine in low, it turns fine, but if I go to "high" it actually slows down (sounds like it is trying to speed up but isn't), however if I let it run for a few minutes and then flip it to high, it will then speed up.
    My 16" South Bend turret lathe did the same thing (would not pick up the higher motor speed until it was warmed up some) when it first had a static starter as the guy I bought it from only had single phase 220 at his shop... I built a rotary phase converter for my shop though and that solved the problem....I now have three phase 120 240 208 from the power company so no issues at all with speeds....Cheers; Ramsay 1

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am using a RPC and don't have any plans to get 3 phase installed into my shop as I don't really need it, I just need to let the lathe warm up some and I can live with that. I appreciate the information, makes total sense.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Still waiting on the Smithy cross slide but now I am focused on putting a DRO on this machine. I believe i need to rebuild the slide I have now however because there is some movement in it cross ways (if you push on it, it will move perhaps 1/16-1/8", plus there is a floating ring underneath it; meaning there is a metal ring that is not attached to anything that in on the lead screw). I need to figure out how to rebuild it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Still waiting on the Smithy cross slide but now I am focused on putting a DRO on this machine. I believe i need to rebuild the slide I have now however because there is some movement in it cross ways (if you push on it, it will move perhaps 1/16-1/8", plus there is a floating ring underneath it; meaning there is a metal ring that is not attached to anything that in on the lead screw). I need to figure out how to rebuild it.
    While the cross feed screw may have some wear, you can reduce some slop with a new cross feed nut:

South Bend Lathe 14-1/2" & 16" Cross Slide Feed Nut PT65FH1 | eBay

Need to check which thread size, as 16's had two different thread sizes. Also may need to shim new nut, its kind of trial and error, snug it up run cross slide back and forth to see if its bindy.

The floating ring is a chip guard. It pushes into saddle toward dial. Keeps chips and debris from getting into dial/lead screw bearings. There should be a small set screw near edge of saddle to hold it in place, dead center over cross feed screw, when you move cross slide forward enough to see lead screw.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you sir, I appreciate the information and advice, I will check that out and I will look at the threads on the cross feed. I don't think this lathe has had much if any attention over the last several decades. I am having fun with it though, been using it almost daily for one thing or another. I really need to put a DRO on though which will be the next big improvement.