What's new
What's new

South Bend 10K Compound Dial Binds

gjkozy

Plastic
I recently purchased a 10K, it has the large dials. The problem is that when the compound crank us turned clockwise, inward, the dial binds and moves the crank while setting zero.

It is difficult to set zero because of this. I noticed that on the crossfeed dial, on the back of it is a relief cut so the whole dial doesn't make contact with the bushing.

On the compound dial, the relief cut is almost nonexistent, is this dial supposed to have a relief cut also? Does anybody know any specifics about the dial? Has anybody experianced this problem with a South Bend?

IMO you don't want a relief cut on the compound since it does not have the bearings...you would just end up with a small area to rub a groove in the bushing face.

we're it me and that was the problem- and not saying it's a good idea:)
i might take it apart and reface the parts.

IMO you don't want a relief cut on the compound since it does not have the bearings...you would just end up with a small area to rub a groove in the bushing face.

we're it me and that was the problem- and not saying it's a good idea:)
i might take it apart and reface the parts.

I was thinking about that also, I just want to approach this in the correct way. When you look at the back of the dial, it almost looks like a relief was cut into it but worn down. That's what it looks like, not sure if this is the case though. Thank you for your thoughts on this.

How does the face of the bushing look?

you *could* take the opportunity to add some bearings or otherwise improve it, the compound dial/bushing interface is starved for oil, simply cutting a few very shallow grooves almost to the edge would allow some oil to feed into that interface.

I don't know if this thread still has any one monitoring it, but I had the same problem.
The fix is to carefully take off the crank. It will have a 1/8" round key keeping the crank handle from spinning. On mine, the round key was a fraction too long causing the crank handle to be 'cocked'. Shortened the key and all is smooth.
Dan

Back