What's new
What's new

South Bend 10K Value

overhaulin

Plastic
I have a South Bend 10K, with a new 3 jaw Bison, collet chuck and good selection of 5C collets, and quick change post with 5 tool holders, and a new Leeson 1/2 HP motor... all new. I also have a milling attachment, collet holder, 4 jaw, 7" faceplate and dogs, 2 steady rests (360 and dove tail), carriage stop, and threading dial.

This came out of a junior high school and obviously did not get much use. You can still see the ways on the carriage.

Everything is really pretty good shape and I am thinking of selling it because I found a great deal on a 10EE, but I am not sure what the market value is today. Any thoughts or suggestions as to the value? I am located in Ohio.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Attachments

• SoutBend 10K.jpg
    SoutBend 10K.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 183
Yea, I just purchased a collet chuck and everything seems to work fine.

It's a round dial 10EE but I couldn't pass it up for $400. It was sitting inside a semi trailer for the past 20 years and just needs some TLC.
Thanks again!

It's a round dial 10EE but I couldn't pass it up for $400. It was sitting inside a semi trailer for the past 20 years and just needs some TLC.
Thanks again!

let me just say... YOU SUCK... great find.

Thanks again!

You need to reload your karma - sell the 10K for $400 to a young deserving kid....

About 2 years ago my BIL bought a super nice 10K advertised here in that was in CT. Lots of tooling including a Dumor tool post grinder. He gave $1500 for it.

Personally I wouldn't sell it. Always handy to have more than one lathe for different setups. If you do decide to sell I would make sure the monarch was sorted out and running well first. You may need the sb for repairs.
Hodge

From responses above, if i sell my 10K, it won't be locally. :(

You need to reload your karma - sell the 10K for $400 to a young deserving kid....

Jim, as you know that is about all they bring along the twin tiers anyway. :)

Sat on my hands last weekend, local online auction. 3 different friends indicated "interest" in one of the 1960's 10L's.
Monday i checked to see who got the 30" btw centers machine. Nice ways, smooth tight spindle, collet closer/5c spindle nose insert, factory installed taper attachment, Phase 2, + holders, not sure about chucks, at least one live center, misc, etc etc on factory stand. Only real defect (if you can call it that) was poor paint. Turns out it was too rich for anyone i know. Sold for $675. Not unusual. Which is not to say that SB's come up that often, though. More likely to be a Hardinge in this neighborhood. The short bed SB 10L/factory cabinet, same auction, needed work, don't think it passed $200.

smt

Thanks, for once I am glad I suck. :D

Actually, a buddy of mine stopped over last night and bought it for a song.

Thanks everyone again for your time and insight.

Back