What's new
What's new

South Bend 10L hex turret parts diagram?

hsracer201

Hot Rolled
Hi, does anyone have a parts diagram for a 10L hex turret?

I bought a lathe last night with one and I'm not familiar with them at all. There's a shaft underneath that points away from the spindle. I'm assuming this is to adjust the bed clamp, but when I try to unscrew it the nut comes off but nothing loosens up.

Here are some pictures. There's a socket permanently attached to the nut. Makes me think it's been re-engineered at some point.

v3GTF2s.jpg

vzly1Ip.jpg

06U28zq.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------

And does anyone know if this whole t-slotted cross-slide can simply be replaced with a regular cross-slide? A portion of it is busted out.

GGZRhfU.jpg

Here are your docs. That screw underneath is how it comes loose. You'll have to somehow break the clamping shoe loose. Once loose, it should slide off the end.

SB 10L Hand Lever Turret_Page_2_Image_0001.jpg

SB 10L Hand Lever Turret_Page_1_Image_0001.jpg

This is a known bug on the clamp mechanism on the SB bed turrets. Basically there's a conical
portion on the clamp rod that tends to jam into the bed clamp that makes it tough to undo.
I seem to recall having to put the nut back on the end and give it a few sharp raps to get it to
undo.

I also seem to recall that dressing up the cone (which was soft, and had become rather
bullet-shaped) tended to prevent this from happening.

Exploded parts diagram:

10L_turret1.jpg

Back