What's new
What's new

South Bend 10L making reversing gears

Mirkov

Plastic
Hello to all, I own a 10L lathe and am trying to make my own gears. There has not been muck luck. i know the trig. I am using a dividing indexing head. I have cutters 20DP 141/2pa and also 16DP 141/2PA. There is one more cutter i have is 18DP 141/2Pa. doing the math calls for od of 1.666 and the 18dp and 141/2pa.This does not work.With the 18 cant cut to depth without the teeth coming to a point. If there any ideas or advice would be great. Thanks to all Mirkov

Are you making replacements or are yours missing? Also they ARE 18 D.P. Are you using a cutter with an appropriate tooth range? There are 8 different sizes for each DP or module involute cutter, each one is for a specific range of teeth. You need a #4 cutter for a 26-34 tooth range. If you try to use a different range cutter your teeth will come out too wide or too narrow.

Your wordage of “one more cutter that’s 18 DP” leads me to believe you likely don’t have the right range cutter.

Are you making replacements or are yours missing? Also they ARE 18 D.P. Are you using a cutter with an appropriate tooth range? There are 8 different sizes for each DP or module involute cutter, each one is for a specific range of teeth. You need a #4 cutter for a 26-34 tooth range. If you try to use a different range cutter your teeth will come out too wide or too narrow.

Your wordage of “one more cutter that’s 18 DP” leads me to believe you likely don’t have the right range cutter.

Thank you for your input. I am using the cutters from china,could be the problem. The 18dp is marked #5 range 26 to 34 teeth.I am going to purchase USA and see what the results are. Again thank you Mirkov

Thank you for your input. I am using the cutters from china,could be the problem. The 18dp is marked #5 range 26 to 34 teeth.I am going to purchase USA and see what the results are. Again thank you Mirkov

It's a common issue that import cutters are labeled in reverse. Granted this isn't always the case but it isn't uncommon for #1 to actually be a #8 and so on. USA brands shouldn't have that problem.

It's a common issue that import cutters are labeled in reverse. Granted this isn't always the case but it isn't uncommon for #1 to actually be a #8 and so on. USA brands shouldn't have that problem.

As it turns out the cutters are numbered backwards. The 18dp cutter cuts 34-55 teeth and does a pretty good job. Thank for all advise. Ordered USA and a #4. and again thanks to all Mirkov

There must be a good number of these tumbler reverse gears floating around because ZK makes the silent gears so the originals would have been removed.

Back