What's new
What's new

South Bend 11", catalog no.111-a

leeko

Stainless
Hi all,

I have an opportunity to buy a 1940 11" x 4' south bend, catalog number 111-a, for a good price. It needs a little TLC, but appears to be pretty complete.

I was able to find some information on the 111-a in catalog 100b, which tells me that the spindle bore is 7/8" rather than the 1-3/8" of the 10L. That's not a dealbreaker for me, though the larger bore would be nice. I'm guessing the spindle threads would be 1-1/2 8tpi then?

My main question is whether the construction of the machine is more similar to the heavy 10 (10L), or to the lighter 9" machines? And if it's the latter, is it usually better to hold off for the heavier version? (I'm guessing that question will get a divided answer!)

The price is good, but it's a long way away so getting it would involve calling in some big favours...

Thanks in advance,

Lee

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I believe that I have the identical lathe (for 30 years now) delivered in 1941. I am guessing at the answers here, but I agree the spindle bore is 7/8" and the spindle threads would be 1-1/2 8tpi. The construction is definitely not a light weight 9" machine. I have enjoyed this 11" lathe for the 30 years, and have used it in my business. I think you would also enjoy having this.

Best wishes --- Allen

I disagree a bit. I think you will find that the spindle threads for the 11" SB are 1 5/8" - 8 and not the 1 1/2 - 8 like on the 9" SB. My 11" SB (model 411) was built in '39. Here is a page from SB's catalog around that time:

lathespecs0010.jpg

-Ron

Thanks everyone for the input. I decided to pull the trigger based on the advice here. It looks like it comes with a 3 jaw and a 4 jaw, hopefully in decent shape so the oddball spindle thread may be less of an issue to get started.

Best,

Lee

Did you buy the overhead drive SB 11 that was posted on a local website? If so it looks like a fairly nice machine based on the pictures. As stated above it is a 7/8ths bore with a 1 5/8 - 8 thread. Parts are fairly rare and share nothing with other south bend machines. I to am an 11 owner. My lathe is in the rebuild process. Read the SB11 thread from many owners. There is a bunch of knowledge strictly related to SB 11 lathes.

John

Hi John, thanks for the info. No, I bought a different 11" machine with the cast iron plinth and underdrive. Actually, I'm still trying to buy it - once the deal goes through I'll give more of the details!

Lee

I have question as well
My 11” is cast on 1928
I found apren it needs the cros feed gear
Is the gear 63 teath as well as the 13&16
Lathe aprens

Can any one tell me

Thanks

Jade

I have a Catalog 164-B, 11", 5' bed. Underdrive, but my motor is fried. Repulsion motor; trying to find rewind data, with little success. Had it about 3 years, and have yet to make any chips. Been stripping it down, cleaning, new felts, etc, and repainting. Maybe this year I can actually use it! zuhnc

Back