What's new
What's new

South Bend 11 inch Lathe

D E Major

Plastic
I recently acquired a South Bend Lathe, it is a 11 inch 5 foot bed, the serial number is 48966. When I called the phone number for South Bend they were very helpful. I was told the lathe was shipped in April of 1934, to the Gulf Oil Corp. in Philadelphia, Pa. But they were unable to help me with any printed information or manuels for this lathe. It is a Catalog #333-B. I would greatly appriciate any information, on this lathe. I also have a Rivett lathe model #608, with a serial # 132, which I was able to find information for.
Thank you,
D E Major

Interesting old and rare SB lathe for sure. I can't imagine that much mass
teetering on the four cast-iron legs. But it is awesome. How about some pics of yours?
Thanks for the brochure scan Steve.

PMc

Last edited:
Unfortunately it seems I have one of these rare 333-B lathes. I’m trying to find info on the speeds and feeds for the change gears. The “How to run a lathe” book posted doesn’t list the 11”.

Unfortunately it seems I have one of these rare 333-B lathes. I’m trying to find info on the speeds and feeds for the change gears. The “How to run a lathe” book posted doesn’t list the 11”.

Catalog 94 may be helpful - 11" starts on page 18

http://www.wswells.com/data/catalog/1934_cat_94/1934_cat_94.pdf

have fun

Here is a "How To Run A Lathe" edition more related to the older stuff - like your Series "O"

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/5795.pdf

ph

Last edited:
but it doesn’t list the speeds of feeds

Take a look at page 41. Yes we know you have no QC box - but the info on it for say 20 TPI and .0166 longitudinal feed will also apply to your change gear lathe that is set up to cut 20 tpi - because you have the same apron gearing as the QC equipped lathe. If you wanted to - say - cut a .003 long feed, you would need to set the lathe up to cut 112 tpi

Only trouble with the .003 business is that your change gear lathe was shipped only with change gears for cutting threads down to 40 tpi - see the chart on page 21 down in the corner.

Page 61 lists an attachment for $18 that would make possible thread cutting down to 80 tpi - with a corresponding reduction in feed rates

Last edited:
but it doesn’t list the speeds of feeds
You can make your own "chart" as to what happens FEED wise as related to the list of threads on page 21 in Catalog 94

I'll start it - you can add to it as you like.

40 tpi. .025" is reciprocal. feed rate long is .0083 per turn. Feed rate cross is .0031 per turn

Note that long feeds are one third of reciprocal.

Note that cross feeds are .375 times long feeds.

but it doesn’t list the speeds of feeds.

HTRAL 27 linked in an above post is crammed with info - but does not mention end gearing until page 91

So here are those two pages so essential to change gear SBs of 90 years ago

Pg91 HTRAL 27.jpgPg92 HTRAL 27.jpg

Back