Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Hawaii
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's a great looking machine! I read that you were getting uncomfortable with the size of it but dont! If it fits in the space you're set. The extra length is useful even if you don't machine axles or .50 cal sniper barrels because when you put a nice piece of hardwood on that other end you'll have some extra useful space! No chip tray is kind of a bummer, I sure like mine to hold a lot of stuff that would other wise be on the floor but maybe you can find one or fab something up.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The threaded shaft In the headstock is a collet closer. You unscrew and take the WHOLE chuck off and then put the collets inside the spindle and turn the “Knob” on the left side of headstock to screw the collets in nice and tight. Tex is right your back gear handle is surely in a position it shouldn’t be able to reach and your missing a top cover on your headstock.

I’ll buy your collets and closer if your selling!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello,

The quick change tool holder is an Aloris BXA, and is the BXA a standard size between other quick change tool holders by chance?
    Correction, I'm missing the 1-1/8 to 1-1/4 collet.
    I'm starting to feel bad about the other guy, starting to think that I have enough in accessories alone for the price I paid.
    The game is to clean it up, brass chips everywhere, to through the gear box, apron, fix any major issues so it will run another 20-30 years.

Thanks.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Stampede View Post
    Hello,

The quick change tool holder is an Aloris BXA, and is the BXA a standard size between other quick change tool holders by chance?
    Aloris is an excellent USA made product. Each model goes up in size per swing of lathe. Generally like axa, bxa, cxa, then ca, and da.

I use a CA. Kevin T uses a CXA and needed to add a plate on the bottom to get proper height.

I would think a BXA to be too short naturally. Maybe its mounted on a spacing plate ? Also possible your lathe is a 14 1/2, not a 16". But I was thinking 16's use the 2 3/8" spindle thread, while most 14 1/2 use 2 1/4 I believe.

Here's a pdf on some Aloris specs:
    https://www.aloris.com/aloris_cat/31e970.pdf

The most common tool holder will be number 1's for each size class. BXA 1, cxa 1 etc. If you google and go to Aloris's website you can see the dimensions. Based on dimensions, your tool height to center line of work.

Also each tool post size, allows for the next size larger in lathe tools. A cxa-1 can hold 3/4" lathe tools. A ca-1 can hold 1" lathe tools. Guessing a BXA-1 holds 5/8" lathe tools.

What you can use is Phase II, and other chinese brands if choose, but it would need to be BXA size to match your post. Before buying anything, look at dimensions and measure height to spindle center.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Hawaii
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It looks like the Aloris.... toolpost is on a riser! So maybe lighter duty on that machine for a time?

I had to add a 3/8" plate to get the most out of the Aloris CXA on a 16". I still use a lot of 3/8 HSS bits when I work and even though I raised the post I have to shim these with 1/4" stock under them to get them on center. FYI I have a few of the knock off tool holders and they are fine for what I do.

6. Likes texasgunsmith, Homebrewblob liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My cxa is on a spacer as well!

b464cd9e-0c88-466c-a10a-13e447301254.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails c8620f4d-069e-4353-8ebb-b7faf06b4a83.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Hawaii
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrewblob View Post
    My cxa is on a spacer as well!

b464cd9e-0c88-466c-a10a-13e447301254.jpg
    I like the round spacer! I didn't consider it at the time but the way I did mine creates a place for chips to collect in the dove tails at the bottom and they are hard to get out.

p1050713.jpg

Mine may be spreading the load better to the compound surface but if that is not necessary I might prefer round....hmmmmm

9. Likes Homebrewblob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow, you guys are full of knowledge!! I have Shars on my SB9, and I compared the two and was thinking that they would interchange, close but they are different numbers.
    I'm going through some of those threads when I have the time, I can't seam to find a good disassembly pdf, what did you guys use?
    Texasgunsmith, not sure if I missed it or not, but why did you change out the motor? And that brings up the next question. What is the best/affordable way to power this 3 phase motor? At work we have a vfd, I think it's a vfd, 120v in, 240v 3 phase out, but for 1 hp motor, mine is the 1.5hp 240v 3 phase, any suggestions?

Thank you.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow, you guys are full of knowledge!! I have Shars on my SB9, and I compared the two and was thinking that they would interchange, close but they are different numbers.
    I'm going through some of those threads when I have the time, I can't seam to find a good disassembly pdf, what did you guys use?
    Texasgunsmith, not sure if I missed it or not, but why did you change out the motor? And that brings up the next question. What is the best/affordable way to power this 3 phase motor? At work we have a vfd, I think it's a vfd, 120v in, 240v 3 phase out, but for 1 hp motor, mine is the 1.5hp 240v 3 phase, any suggestions?

Thank you.
    The Shars brand is a Chinese version of Aloris and compatable, though the chinese brands use numbers not lettering. Your Shars is probably an AXA size which is common for 9". I think Shars looks above average for the Chinese, but the Phase II is the high end of the Chinese brands. Aloris and Dorian for USA made.

Steve Wells has a small dedicated site for South Bend info here:
    The SBL Workshop

His site for parts break down pics, though cross reference the size to the right:
    South Bend Lathe Parts Lists

Vintage Machinery, for publication reprints. Their South Bend list, easier to click the date at top of chart to sort by date:
    South Bend Lathe Works - Publication Reprints | VintageMachinery.org

I'd also recommend buying this felt kit that comes with a rebuild manual. The manual is not perfect, but helps:
    South Bend Lathe 16" - Rebuild Manual and Parts Kit (All Models) | eBay

The current 16" I'm building had a wrecked looking single phase motor. I'm already set up for 3 phase, and didn't want to mess around. Changing motor with lathe upright will be a real good time if you do it that way. Much easier with base off and rolled over. Plus I'm a long vision shopper, I start shopping before I even get close to certain repairs . In this case I got a new motor pretty cheap, well in advance.

Seems like two camps. VFD or rotary phase convertor. I'm with the latter, though a touch more expensive. I'm of the opinion rotary phase power is more stable, safe, and gets closer to true power from your load motor at lathe. But it can be a deep topic with lots of opinions. Lots of threads on it. Might need to start another or this thread will become all that. I'd go with a 3 to 5hp rpc if I was you, and there is a variety of ways to do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On the VFD/rotary Phase convertor, I've read what other guys have used, it's a coin toss if you ask me. Do you have any suggestions?

I seen this on another forum, L510-101-H1-U | Teco Westinghouse | AC Drives

Thanks.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Hawaii
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On the VFD/rotary Phase convertor, I've read what other guys have used, it's a coin toss if you ask me. Do you have any suggestions?

I seen this on another forum, L510-101-H1-U | Teco Westinghouse | AC Drives

Thanks.
    I have a New in the box L510-202-H1-U that I would part with. I bought it for my lathe and then decided to go with a RPC instead. Let me know if you want it and I'll figure up a price. I got it from these guys.

L510-201-H1-U | Teco Westinghouse | AC Drives

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

44b698c6-c92f-4220-a76b-62005474ae8f.jpg

I have a 3HP RPC I built myself.

I found a BRAND NEW in the box 3 phase 240v motor at HGR For 100$ and it has grease able BALL bearings. When I originally bought it I assumed it was plain float bearings and would be temporary until I found a more suitable motor but to my Surprise it was ball bearing.

I have a 2hp SB16 and a 2-3/4 hp index mill. I’ve run them both underload at the same time and haven’t had a problem

My RPC sits outside my garage foundation with a board over it... still waiting to build an enclosure

What’s funny is I bought my lathe and mill together without a RPC, I took the belt off the lathe and jumped the motor on 1 phase 240v, then ran a 14-3 line from the lathe motor to the mill to run it! And vice Versa.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just a quick update, I ordered and received my felt kit/ book, very nice products, I think the book by it's self is worth the price.
    I think I will just do a quick clean up, maybe go through the gear box, apron, maybe the head stock, and the plan for power will be a VFD.
    Here are some pics of all the brass.....
    [/ATTACH]1026201838a.jpg
    1026201912.jpg

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not much to update, but I have it lifted up a little and leveled. 1110201940.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]305744
    [/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]305745
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1110201941.jpg   1113201823.jpg  

17. Likes texasgunsmith liked this post