UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Stampede View Post
    Hello,

I'm trying to disassemble my QCGB, on lever arm shaft collar, did they happen to mushroom the taper pin back in the day? I'm about ready to file flat both sides to see which is the smaller end.

Thanks.Attachment 310456
    Those should be pretty clear which is large vs small side. Any mushrooming would be minor. I'd use calipers to figure which if it looks close.

Not impossible they might be stuck. But I've had good luck with a heavy drift pin and a solid hammer. Nice solid blow, not tap, tap, tap. If you find they are really stuck, might need to drill the center out.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Hawaii
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello,

I'm trying to disassemble my QCGB, on lever arm shaft collar, did they happen to mushroom the taper pin back in the day? I'm about ready to file flat both sides to see which is the smaller end.

Thanks.Attachment 310456
    That sure looks like the fat end to me, but those darned pins! I wasn't able to get my QCGB apart because of the pins but I decided to just clean it the very best I could with dental tools and a ton of time! The felts I found could all be taken out with small picks and reinserted without total disassembly. Admittedly yours looks worse but looks can be deceiving!

I was able to get the one side off with the lever changer. You'll want to get this one for sure to check the lever good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well I finally got it! What a pain, I did grind down both ends, and that didn't really help, made it harder to see the pin.
    Can you buy the bushing or do you have to make new ones? I've found some slop in most of the shafts, so I'm hoping I don't have to sleeve the shafts.

Thanks.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Hawaii
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well I finally got it! What a pain, I did grind down both ends, and that didn't really help, made it harder to see the pin.
    Can you buy the bushing or do you have to make new ones? I've found some slop in most of the shafts, so I'm hoping I don't have to sleeve the shafts.

Thanks.
    I don't have a direct answer for you but wanted to say that those 2 outside collars on the screw side of the box are a place on my lathe that lets a lot of oil escape and drip off under use. There is probably a way to tidy this up by adding a felt somewhere in that area but I'm not sure what the best attack would be.

Actually maybe I'm missing a felt in the Gitz oiler there? Do you guys have a felt in those those two oilers?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin T View Post
    I don't have a direct answer for you but wanted to say that those 2 outside collars on the screw side of the box are a place on my lathe that lets a lot of oil escape and drip off under use. There is probably a way to tidy this up by adding a felt somewhere in that area but I'm not sure what the best attack would be.

Actually maybe I'm missing a felt in the Gitz oiler there? Do you guys have a felt in those those two oilers?
    There are no felts inside the gits. There is no containment of oil either. Once initial oiling is done, all oil will drip out. "Total loss oil system" . Everyone's is a little bit of a mess. To reduce it, I give a single shot of oil before running, plus keep a rag near machine to wipe where is commonly runs down.

To answer Stampede's question. Pretty sure you will need to make those. If you're only lathe is this one, clean up shafts now when apart. Get real good dimensions on bushings. Then make them out of bronze once lathe is operational. Finesse them out, one at a time to replace them, while qcgb is still on machine. Would be kind of an interesting project, as you need to cut the side locking/adjusting screw portion as well. Those adjusters help set end thrust on shafts.

Or make them with your machine, but running saddle and crossfeed by hand without qcgb.

Tricky part would be cutting slots for felts. But you can use your lathe as a shaper for that if need be.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Hawaii
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by texasgunsmith View Post
    ..."There are no felts inside the gits. There is no containment of oil either. Once initial oiling is done, all oil will drip out. "Total loss oil system" . Everyone's is a little bit of a mess. To reduce it, I give a single shot of oil before running, plus keep a rag near machine to wipe where is commonly runs down."...
    Thanks for the info. The tough part for me is gauging the single shot of oil. I am using vintage eagle oilers so I don't know when the oil is ready to come out until it's coming out! Maybe I should change my oiling routine and hit those later after I know the oiler spout is full. Yeah, that's the ticket!