What's new
What's new

South Bend 12" ?

intrepid

Cast Iron
While searching for a 9-10" cabinet lathe I came across a lead where the seller states his cabinet lathe is a 12x36 and uses a 5C collett. It is on a cabined with 3 drawers on the right side and appears to be an under mount drive. I am waiting for additional information.
Did South Bend make a 12" under mount cabinet lathe?00U0U_4b1vQMyGDmFz_0eP0cl_1200x900.jpg

The lathe in the picture is a South Bend 10k. It looks like late model - quite possibly a South Korean version. It will use 6k collets directly in the spindle. Maybe is has a 5c collet chuck with it?

The lathe in the picture is a South Bend 10k. It looks like late model - quite possibly a South Korean version. It will use 6k collets directly in the spindle. Maybe is has a 5c collet chuck with it?

I was thinking also it was a 10K. The only thing that threw me was the the riser on the the tailstock. It looked rather tall so I was thinking maybe there was a 12" model I wasn't aware of. Thanks, a 9or 10 is what I was looking for.

CL 370RDA or DB as of 1982 - swings 9 .94 over bed. See pub 8306

No way on the 5C without a collet chuck. Spindle bore is but .844"

Last edited:
Nice looking lathe - looks like a longer bed. I like the cabinet and the drawers. Let us know how it turns out.

Doug

I'm still working on buying this lathe. It's about 3 hours from me and although the owner does want to sell he slow at communicating. He did confirm the model is CL370 RD which makes it a 10" long bed. I'm hoping now I will be able to buy this lathe.

If that doesn't work out i may sell my 10
' SB It is set with a VFD and has a set true 3 jaw Buck chuck and a 4jaw buck chuck. And a collet set up plus a steady rest and Aloris tool holder. Live centers key less chucks, dead ceters extra belts. Nice bed..... it has a 1 hp. 1250 Baldnar motor with grease fittings. extra belt they are not leather nice cabinet.... jim

Interesting that there were actually 12" South Bend lathes. I'm always learning. I suspect they are rare to find for sale. However, it is actually bigger than what I would need. I'm hoping to hear from @johara1 about his 10k. He hasn't posted since mentioning maybe selling his lathe. I sent him a PM but have heard nothing. Hope he is okay.

Well it appears I struck out with the original one I was hoping for and also johara1. He mentioned he may want to sell his but I have not been able to contact him. I think response to me was the first time he has been on the forum in about a year. I suppose he is busy with other matters. So anyway I am in the market for a 9A or 10k with cabinet and under drive. I'm in western Maryland but willing to do a days travel for the right lathe. Thanks all.

Back