What's new
What's new

South Bend 13, 1922

hahnpv

Plastic
I picked up a South Bend 13" lathe, 8' bed over the weekend. $1000 on Craigslist.

S/N#: 27790, 1922 vintage.

It appears to be a line shaft driven model. There is a 3HP Lima motor with 4 speed gearbox mounted on a casting over the headstock, belt driving the largest sheave. The motor can slide to interface other sheaves but with the gearbox, back gears and VFD this doesn't appear to be necessary.

In what I would consider to be good shape given its age.

I would appreciate help identifying the catalog number.

A few pictures below. I'm mid-assembly as I'm cleaning and lubricating as I go. Should have the motor mounted tomorrow evening and will add picture of the full assembly.

sbpartial.jpg

sbserial.jpg

sblima.jpg

20190219_153142.jpg

Last edited:
One other question I have, the drive for the apron is a shaft with a single spline and no threads. The spline mates with a worm gear in the apron, which can drive power feed for both facing and turning operations. There are no threads on the spline and no half nut to be found.

I'm assuming this configuration could cut at least coarse gears, if driven a single direction to account for backlash? Or did South Bend make models like this that aren't appropriate for threading? The oldest version of South Bend's "How To Run A Lathe" I can find only references splined screw shafts and using a half nut for threading.

thanks
philip

Maybe helpful info from those long ago days

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/5795.pdf

without the threaded leadscrew and halfnuts you wont be able to thread anything

How true, at least in the normal single point threading lathe activity

Is the QC gearbox chart marked with the usual available threads that can be cut, or is it a special, placarding only feed rates?

The normal Series O QC gear box chart is on PDF page 94 in above link

I thought that machine looked too big to be a 13” :skep:
It is a 16”, as shown by the index plate
Ted

The guy I bought it from insisted it was a 13, but I also noted the 16 stamped on the QCGB. Confirmed!

What do you think about replacing the splined shaft with a leadscrew? I read another thread about buying leadscrew stock off the shelf and working the ends on the lathe. I'd have to scare up a half nut and lever as well.

philip

Looks like it. I can take a closer look at home after work.

philip

If so, that is a way to arrive at feeds, at least longitudinal

Say you were set on 40 TPI.

40 X 2.073 = 82.92 turns per inch (which is the antique way to refer to FEEDS)

But....the reciprocal of 82.92 is 1/82.92 and that is .012" inches per revolution - the modern way to refer to feeds

If so, that is a way to arrive at feeds, at least longitudinal

Say you were set on 40 TPI.

40 X 2.073 = 82.92 turns per inch (which is the antique way to refer to FEEDS)

But....the reciprocal of 82.92 is 1/82.92 and that is .012" inches per revolution - the modern way to refer to feeds

Got it. Too bad it's not a whole number (2.000) that would have been more useful!

philip

Back