What's new
What's new

South Bend 13" Beauty

nash ranch

Plastic
I'm interested in buying this lathe. I have not seen it in person yet. It is 300 miles away or so. It has chucks and a taper attachment. I love the old SB Lathes.

What would pay for a quality Lathe like this?

277344878_5246894392022604_1344293746611827217_n.jpg

Many people have a lot more questions, before giving an informed answer, like condition and how much wear.

Being the west coast, guessing slightly more than national average.

Chip pan and taper attachment are pluses. Old style tool post, and less or not other accessories like thread dial, micrometer stop etc won't increase value.

Price could float between $1500 and $3000 I would think.

He turned down $2ooo. Don't know about how much wear it has. I wish it was 300 miles closer so i could go see it in person

Prices can be very neighborhood specific but I recently watched a much new SB 13 go for less than $700. I personally would not drive 600 miles round trip to look at that particular machine.

Hope this helps

Ben

Nash, I would probably be very hesitant to pursue that machine above $2,000. That is an older single tumbler SB and there are many later model double tumbler 13's out there that were Tech school surplus machines and will in most cases be in very good condition for a few dollars more. I have owned a 13" and 2- 16" SB's over the last 20 yrs and the 16" single tumbler unit took a lot of work to rehab. The other 2 later Tech school models were in almost mint condition when purchased. Take your time and a good unit will show up before you know it.

That machine has a 1.875" thread spindle. Later models have the 2.250" x 8 thread. Back plates and face plates are more readily available for the 2.25" plus 5C collet use. I like the double tumbler gearbox better. No sliding gear on the side...(less gearing, less noise). If I could see that lathe and determine minimal wear, and the accessories (3 and 4 jaws, plate(s),center adapter for spindle,chasing dial), I might go $2000. Maybe a couple hundred more in the machinery desert. Again, this all depends on wear. Here in Pa., I wouldn't go that much.

Back