What's new
What's new

South Bend 13" Lathe Gear Needed

tjowens

Plastic
Hello. I have done some searching on this forum and not located anything that seems match my machine. I am looking for a gear for my 1933 13" South Bend Lathe. The gear I'm looking for is in the drive train that powers the quick change gear box. I believe this gear is called the primary gear, and mates to the slide gear. The gear has the numbers 13-652 cast into it. It has 64 teeth, is 1/2" wide, 4.75" diameter, and according to my calculations is 14 DP. The bore is 1.25", and it is pressed onto a shaft with a round key. The catalog number for this lathe is 386-B, and I haven't been able to locate this catalog to possibly find another number besides the one on the gear. If it helps, this model has what I believe South Bend called the Silent Chain Motor Drive. I am not a machinist, so I may be using incorrect terminology; my apologies if some of these terms are incorrect. If anyone has any information on how I might locate a gear, I would definitely appreciate it. I can post pictures of the gear and lathe if that would help. There is a lot of wonderful information on this site, and I appreciate how helpful the posts have been to me in the past. Thanks!

A big Thank You to Ted Pflugner AKA Latheman.

Hello TJ: I believe you and I are "looking" for the same gear. Better stated, you are looking...I found mine.

I'd like to recognize the terrific service I recently received from The Latherman. He advertises on this Forum and is well received. After years of enduring a noisy gear, I decided to repair/replace the gear. I've cut a few gears and was prepared to braze up my existing gear and mill two damaged teeth. A new involute cutter would set me back @ $70USD. Looking for a replacement was my first choice.

One email to The Latheman was promptly answered, Ted had a gear, the price was little more than the involute cutter, and hour later Ted was shipping a gear to me. The replacement was 1/8" wider and had a smaller bore. Facing the gear was a snap, and as the gear Ted sent was in excellent if not NOS condition, I was able to accurately locate the pitch center which made centering and boring to 1.250" quick work. I can not thank Mr. Ted Pflugner or this Forum enough.

The old gear is surplus to my needs and about to be scrapped. If it would help someone, it is theirs for the asking. PM me.

My 1941 SB 13" x 48" Series S machine is below.

Video of gears running.

YouTube

Pictured below is the damaged gear. I've owned and used this lathe since the mid 1970's. Someone had made a tidy repair. Many years ago.
IMG_1504.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg

IMG_1507.jpg

Ciao,
Dick Casey
Vashon Island, WA

Always look in "The Stickies"...

Hi TJ, I just responded to your PM.

Sorry you had trouble finding The Latheman's contact info.

For others looking for Ted, one suggestion is on this Forum (and most others. Always look in The Stickies (permanent info sources located at the "top" of all other comments.). Here's a screen shot...Tons of great info in The Stickies. Oil recommendations, sources for parts, parts lists, operator's manuals... all in The Stickies.

Ted is [email protected]

Least this look like SPAM, I've no personal relationship with the man or business interest. Simply a very happy customer!

Ciao
Dick Casey

Latheman.jpg

Back