What's new
What's new

South Bend 13” manufacture date/ need help

upcondor

Aluminum
I have a South Bend 13” lathe that I am trying to find out the manufacture date of. The serial number is 7693TKL14.

I know the following T=13”, K= QCG, UMD, and Friction Feed,
L= Large Spindle Hole

It also has a taper attachment. Not sure if all the parts are there for it but most are.

Need help on manufacture date please.....

Thanks

Thank you for the help. I was looking at the serial number page wrong but see it now. The lathe v-ways show some wear in the normal area (12-14”) from headstock. With a 1959 born date I thought this lathe would have had a flame hardened bed. When did South Bend start using hardened beds on the 13” lathe ?

Thank you for the help. I was looking at the serial number page wrong but see it now. The lathe v-ways show some wear in the normal area (12-14”) from headstock. With a 1959 born date I thought this lathe would have had a flame hardened bed. When did South Bend start using hardened beds on the 13” lathe ?

The x-braced DDB-200T bed started in 3-7-1958, the DDB-200TG hardened and Ground bed was optional at the same date.

The Hardened Bed Unit Code number was revised to DDB-201T on 10/16/1967 when it was made a standard feature.

Steve

Thank you very much for your help ! Will put to rest comments made about a lathe for sale. It is the “X” braced bed.

Tom

The comments I refer to were made by an individual near me that has the lathe for sale. The seller gave me information on the lathe that I felt was incorrect. I deferred to this site for your help/ clarification on exactly what the lathe is.

I took his comments to mean that the x brace meant non hardened bed. Did I misunderstand that part ?

It can go either way....when they first switched to the x bracing hardening was optional up until the 60's?? when it became standard.

i do not know where the little pissed off dude came from...tried to remove him but he won't go away...:sulk:

Ok, pretty sure from the wear on the v ways this one is not hardened. But I have limited experience with SB as you can see.

Ok, pretty sure from the wear on the v ways this one is not hardened. But I have limited experience with SB as you can see.

Just ask for or look at the unit code numbers on the rear flat way by the tailstock. To be hardened it will be stamped DDB-200TG or
DDB-201T

Steve

Non-hardened ways should still show signs of the factory scraping--at least in places that don't see wear, like the inner flat ways near the headstock, or the unused v-way near the tailstock.

This is a random picture I dug up of my 1966 with non-hardened ways:

hIPl8us0juGhLHxj60Ic2eM2FY14vfgARDOZ6rRuhO9Rpy19B6LfdOwgt_j50PH7Gla7P4Nt3xf0elIlid6Wg-VLI9QOCX0IoOE7xxXTAYPCxyblYgHtWIj7fbYGJxFiL1deK-tdDWIc9ew0O0bnwarNyqnxFwya4-syoFhHL5JvSkx3D4FJAmvm1if-IreW5L5aXHWHG1I2faI7gVXynORCdlVl-ZQoQjoaKyXrEMppTAtQ0lnxN7UrHgxjq29FfDBqNn1XIIKVDmVYNfGbuKV3JwRGCqq92jtHiCzcrXRzfid64pK6kyaS42OyLJZzENzndsE06AQew4fsKfFRtzYymZyikIqtBcSZ40ijY2dfEKy2EjRIRgCgIn1KHrE2FeqcEebiCQnYN17ZGYEqaAZCuEe48UYfbAikQx2sWeO5dp2cITPwN2wP9r5X5hOtG1m_ofGppcqqEwH9ESw_OT4XbKK_L34rApNtXaG6bwjpr1Qrt3E_HCDRW-VK4szpCYkCmGwG_wdQ4b6KZM0DmaLjeUZZuOfbIpQ_OXPqdIeF78SxZhMgIj4QjY3r1aj5MNxBDnmU7n5vB9B3csO7j59v2zNiCwzFZOM-QBzdYGccuPNInrwb6yyjQlIEFXnFRB4Tu71oImRu08m3kB_gc1j128wlhb1S87nmbfn5D1CsuYCFSFX7BDgkWw7A_3zMlKl6LDibKU8SzKFi5BruKmy8Wg=w1024

Thanks for the additional info and pic for reference. I was unable to find any code at all on the bed as swells referred to.

Back