What's new
What's new

South Bend 13 Stud Gear Question

mlitzkow

Plastic
I am refurbishing a South Bend 13 that I got from a tool dealer back in October. I ran it through all the gearbox combinations, checked out the reversing gears, etc. and all seemed fine. I brought it home and took it apart for cleaning, repainting, and repair of whatever parts might need it. I now have the spindle, gear train, gearbox, and leadscrew assembled. All runs fine, I can change gears, reverse the feed, change speeds, etc.

Now I have one question. On the tag on my gearbox, it says that the stud gear choices are 24T and 48T. Likewise in the parts sheet (Form 914C Section 2), it says those gears are 24T and 48T. However, my gears are 48T and 64T. I am able to adjust the banjo to set it up to run with either gear. One strange thing is that the geartrain cover won't fully close with the 64T gear on the outside (48T gear in use). With the 48T gear on the outside (64T gear in use), it closes fine. I never tried swapping the stud gears around before I took everything apart, so I can't be sure whether the cover originally closed with the gears in either position. This lathe came out of a tech school where I think it had served since its manufacture in 1971. Does anyone know of a reason why somebody would have put different stud gears on one of these lathes? As all the numbers are even, I am guessing they are not transposing gears for metric threading. I'm trying to figure out whether the gears I have are a legitimate setup for this lather or if I will want to obtain a 24T gear for it. I'm guessing that if I stick with the gears I have I'll probably have to make up a new threading chart. Or is there an alternate threading chart available for the gearing that I have?

Thanks in advance,
-- mike

You DO understand that the stud gears - 24 and 48 - are NEVER working at the same time. You either have the 24 installed or the 48 installed in the stud gear position. In other words you are just missing the 24

I am refurbishing a South Bend 13 that I got from a tool dealer back in October. I ran it through all the gearbox combinations, checked out the reversing gears, etc. and all seemed fine. I brought it home and took it apart for cleaning, repainting, and repair of whatever parts might need it. I now have the spindle, gear train, gearbox, and leadscrew assembled. All runs fine, I can change gears, reverse the feed, change speeds, etc.

Now I have one question. On the tag on my gearbox, it says that the stud gear choices are 24T and 48T. Likewise in the parts sheet (Form 914C Section 2), it says those gears are 24T and 48T. However, my gears are 48T and 64T. I am able to adjust the banjo to set it up to run with either gear. One strange thing is that the geartrain cover won't fully close with the 64T gear on the outside (48T gear in use). With the 48T gear on the outside (64T gear in use), it closes fine. I never tried swapping the stud gears around before I took everything apart, so I can't be sure whether the cover originally closed with the gears in either position. This lathe came out of a tech school where I think it had served since its manufacture in 1971. Does anyone know of a reason why somebody would have put different stud gears on one of these lathes? As all the numbers are even, I am guessing they are not transposing gears for metric threading. I'm trying to figure out whether the gears I have are a legitimate setup for this lather or if I will want to obtain a 24T gear for it. I'm guessing that if I stick with the gears I have I'll probably have to make up a new threading chart. Or is there an alternate threading chart available for the gearing that I have?

Thanks in advance,
-- mike

I think you may be confusing the quick change gear box input with the stud. The 48T is usually only needed for very coarse threads and is usually installed as a "spare" in my photo below. Here's how it should be set up:

AM-JKLUcbVqAQcIWXNZbY6qkOGXPeThuszWiIKZP7avymdgrWxdNy9JopfVO6z6sKPjBQXf0cebOhLFTinQfgOYacVnQ-V7O6m8yEQUDzWZ0O_7M1QCBCOe1CvXaSwqzSCnVyBXsyOhbOUOpWUhLmiAPTq8YWg=w1033-h775-no

Exactly than answer I needed!

Sure enough, I did make that mistake! Now I see that the "stud" is part of the reversing gear assembly and not the input shaft of the gearbox. I already have the 24T gear installed on the stud. The spare 48T gear is just stored on the gearbox input shaft and doesn't get in the way of the cover there either. I was unsure why a lathe coming from a school would have non-standard gears installed as well as why the cover wouldn't close. Now I can see that I have all the correct gears and everything fits as expected too - mystery solved.

My copy of "How to Run a Lathe" (75'th edition), shows this in figure 211A on page 74. All I had to do was look. Many thanks for your help.

Back