What's new
What's new

South Bend 13” tailstock spindle mt3 regrind

Chrispyny

Plastic
Can anyone please refer me to who can regrind my tailstock spindle? My lathe was a votec/boces lathe out of CT, and although it has seen no production work, it has tell tail signs of imexperienced kids letting tooling slip in the spindle. I assure anyone who suggests to clean it up myself, It’s not an option. There is heavy scoring and it feels very rough by finger feel. I’m 99% done restoring this lathe and i just want this last thing done to ensure i’ve done what i can to accurize this lathe as much as possible.

Thanks for your time. Pics to follow once it’s totally complete.

If it is a hardened spindle, the above HSS reamers probably won't work. If it ISN'T hardened (and I suspect that it isn't, given the damage), then you CAN use these to redress the taper. Just remove the spindle from the TS, chuck it up in a 3-jaw, then slowly remove the high spots. Use plenty of oil and don't worry about getting the spindle completely smooth. I have a set of these in both MT2 and MT3. They do a fairly decent job.

If it is a hardened spindle, the above HSS reamers probably won't work. If it ISN'T hardened (and I suspect that it isn't, given the damage), then you CAN use these to redress the taper. Just remove the spindle from the TS, chuck it up in a 3-jaw, then slowly remove the high spots. Use plenty of oil and don't worry about getting the spindle completely smooth. I have a set of these in both MT2 and MT3. They do a fairly decent job.

Not hardened on my CL145, which might even be out of the same THS as the OP's lathe (Henry Abbott in Danbury). Mine had internal damage as well, but cleaned up with the 3MT reamers.

Edit: Mine was also mushroomed from students trying to get things to seat in the munged-up taper. But I ground the mushroomed part back to size with a TPG.

Not hardened on my CL145, which might even be out of the same THS as the OP's lathe (Henry Abbott in Danbury). Mine had internal damage as well, but cleaned up with the 3MT reamers.

Edit: Mine was also mushroomed from students trying to get things to seat in the munged-up taper. But I ground the mushroomed part back to size with a TPG.

Mines a cl145c and was made in 1982, and sold to Gilbert and richards, in hamden, ct. i guess they were a sb dealer who the boces school purchased their lathes from.

The school the lathe came from was JM Wright Technical high school. It was either machine 28, or 13, depending in which marking one goes by, headstock cover or main gear cover. I purchased the lathe from a gent who won two of them at auction on publicsurplus.com. The school auctioned them off around 2014 or 2015 if i recall. I believe the gent told me he had both in storage for a year or so. The other had a taper attatchment with missing parts, and metric gearing and dials. But it was more rusty than mine i chose to buy. Rust is cancer and although i wanted the extras the other lathe offered, he was only selling my choice of one, so i took the lathe with no rust on it.

Anyway, back on track.

Mines a cl145c and was made in 1982, and sold to Gilbert and richards, in hamden, ct. i guess they were a sb dealer who the boces school purchased their lathes from.

The school the lathe came from was JM Wright Technical high school. It was either machine 28, or 13, depending in which marking one goes by, headstock cover or main gear cover. I purchased the lathe from a gent who won two of them at auction on publicsurplus.com. The school auctioned them off around 2014 or 2015 if i recall. I believe the gent told me he had both in storage for a year or so. The other had a taper attatchment with missing parts, and metric gearing and dials. But it was more rusty than mine i chose to buy. Rust is cancer and although i wanted the extras the other lathe offered, he was only selling my choice of one, so i took the lathe with no rust on it.

Anyway, back on track.

Different auction even though the dates are close. Mine's got the taper attachment and direct mount spindle. If you got the lathe from somewhere near Stamford, we're probably not far from each other. Feel free to PM if you want to try the reamers. If you're really adventurous we can try to set up the internal grinding spindle on my TPG, but I suspect that's overkill. I friend's 9A needed so much reaming we had to shorten the tailpost spindle, but it was cleaned up enough afterward to hold tapers securely.

Or, you can find someone to send it out to. Up to you...

anyone tried cutting a mt3 or mt2 taper on a piece of soft steel or cast iron directly on scrap held in the headstock.. and then carve some grooves in it with a grinder.. loading it with grit..

and driving the tailstock into it by hand?

seems to me with a sensitive hand it should cut the tailstock quill on center and inline pretty quick. risk being you lock up the spindle and stall the machine, set the belt tension really low.

You would never want to hold the reamer in the headstock, on an old SB the tail stock is virtually guaranteed to be pointing low and away...Reaming it in such a manner will just lock a whole new set of issues in.

Finish reamer by hand only, badly scored and all if you simply remove high spots it will hold a taper.

Last edited:

Back