What's new
What's new

South Bend 14.5 and 9A parts for sale

hsracer201

Hot Rolled
Thanks, folks. If you PM'd me we will finish working out details.

Last edited:
If everyone could just send PM's it would be helpful, that way if two people ask about the same thing I can respond in order of first come first serve without having to look at time stamps in this thread vs. time stamps on PM's.

I wasn't expecting so many PM's. Please be patient with me.

If everyone could just send PM's it would be helpful

And likewise, if you could just figure out how much you want for your stuff rather than fishing, that would help also.

You have 45 posts, come here to sell parts and don't know how much you want for them. What's wrong with this picture? Speaking of picture, you didn't even post pictures of your stuff. :rolleyes5: Basically no prices and no pics. And now you pull the original post that you listed parts.

How would someone know you're on the legit? How could someone trust that you would send the parts after money is sent ?

And then if someone offers you money, you magically know one sold on ebay for XXX amount of $$$s. So it seems you have some idea how much you want for them. Whether you're on the up and up, that I don't know.

Sounds to me like you bought more than one lathe to put a decent one together and now you're selling off the worn out parts to recover your costs.

Good luck!

And likewise, if you could just figure out how much you want for your stuff rather than fishing, that would help also.

You have 45 posts, come here to sell parts and don't know how much you want for them. What's wrong with this picture? Speaking of picture, you didn't even post pictures of your stuff. :rolleyes5: Basically no prices and no pics. And now you pull the original post that you listed parts.

How would someone know you're on the legit? How could someone trust that you would send the parts after money is sent ?

And then if someone offers you money, you magically know one sold on ebay for XXX amount of $$$s. So it seems you have some idea how much you want for them. Whether you're on the up and up, that I don't know.

Sounds to me like you bought more than one lathe to put a decent one together and now you're selling off the worn out parts to recover your costs.

Good luck!

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings, sir. That was not my intent. In my original post I asked for decent offers, not low-ball prices, which is what you offered me. Perhaps asking for reasonable offers wasn't a good idea. I don't usually sell things here, just trying to reach a wider audience.

I have emailed pics to people who asked for them. I don't have a home computer so I have to do most all this at work during the day. It is hard for me to upload 400 pictures just to have them handy, and was doing it as asked.

A simple search of my screen name will find me a member of lots of forums with a variety of interests and I have a good reputation on each one. I do sell some stuff on eBay and have been a member since 2002 under the same name and I have a 100% positive feedback rating as both a buyer and a seller with over 300 transactions.

I did buy 3 South Bend 9A's to build one, but I scrapped the idea and moved on. I am now selling all 3 of them along with a 14.5"

My apologies to the forum. I will do as you suggested and peddle my junk on eBay. Let the free market set the price and all that.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings, sir. That was not my intent. In my original post I asked for decent offers, not low-ball prices, which is what you offered me.

Well, you didn't hurt my feelings, although you're the one that seems like their feelings got hurt. I gave you a fair offer for having no pics, not knowing you, and after asking your price you still didn't give one to me. The products are yours to sell, get a value and know what you want for it, people like me can't read your mind.

So you want all of us to make an offer and then you can take the highest one? That's exactly why I bowed out. This is not an auction site, this is a machinist forum.

Good luck with your sales, won't effect me in any way. Next time select your 3 lathes better and you won't be piecing everything together to make one lathe, and will in fact have 3 whole lathes if done correctly. I certainly don't feel obligated to help you recoup your investment. :scratchchin:

As for searching your name, why should I ? If you used Practical Machinists, people like me would know you and wouldn't need to sharpen up our Google-Foo to find you. :rolleyes5:

Thank you, sir, for your words of wisdom. I will take them to heart. We must all start somewhere.

Dannyrocci, your PM box is full and I cannot reply to you.

not wishing to get in the middle of anything, but maybe the moderator should clarify a few rules on selling items on the site. I know from previous messages that I've seen that the previous moderator did not allow anything to be sold openly on the site whereas they did not mind a mention of what was for sale and posting pictures. But all transaction had to be done through private message. I think the moderator should clarify their position on several issues.

1: How many posts the seller should have before being able to sell anything here.
2: Since this is not an auction site, a definite price should be quoted by the seller.
3: Pictures should be required of all items For sale. or at least be available upon request by the potential buyer.
4: the moderator should include any other requirements that they feel is necessary, and
should make their position clear. And post this position in the rules.

it should be noted, I cannot speak for the moderator, nor do I have any opinion on the subject, other than the rules should be posted and followed.

PS, I briefly considered one or two items, but since there was no price and no pictures, I decided not to even bother. And I did not consider how long you had been on this board or how many post you have made.

stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

not wishing to get in the middle of anything, but maybe the moderator should clarify a few rules on selling items on the site. I know from previous messages that I've seen that the previous moderator did not allow anything to be sold openly on the site whereas they did not mind a mention of what was for sale and posting pictures. But all transaction had to be done through private message. I think the moderator should clarify their position on several issues.

1: How many posts the seller should have before being able to sell anything here.
2: Since this is not an auction site, a definite price should be quoted by the seller.
3: Pictures should be required of all items For sale. or at least be available upon request by the potential buyer.
4: the moderator should include any other requirements that they feel is necessary, and
should make their position clear. And post this position in the rules.

it should be noted, I cannot speak for the moderator, nor do I have any opinion on the subject, other than the rules should be posted and followed.

PS, I briefly considered one or two items, but since there was no price and no pictures, I decided not to even bother. And I did not consider how long you had been on this board or how many post you have made.

stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

Joe, thank you for bringing up those points. A little while back I had a LeBlond part for sale and I PM'd the moderator of that forum and asked if I could put it up there and I never received a reply - so I didn't. Then here a little bit ago I saw a few things being sold and traded here and there so I thought it was okay. If I broke any rules I truly apologize.

I will finish up whatever dealings were started by PM because that is the right thing to do and I will not sell anything on Practical Machinist again.

I will finish up whatever dealings were started by PM because that is the right thing to do and I will not sell anything on Practical Machinist again.

Honestly, this seems pretty childish considering you're the one that can't come up with a price that you want, or post pictures in your ad.

You don't have to worry about me buying anything though and that goes for ebay also. :)

My post was not intended to say that you broke any rules, Rather that the rules are unclear. The points I brought up, was more of a question, Not a definite rule. And as I said, in the past, The rule for selling an item/items was that all transactions must be done through private message not on the public portion of the board. Unfortunately that moderators no longer hear. And there has not been any mention of it by the new moderators. I for one do not care if you sell something here. Others have done so, and even I have sold a couple of things here. But when I have sold something, it has been through the private message system. A definite price was given, and numerous pictures were made available. Also the items I sold were not to make money but rather to get someone going. So I did not make any money off the items. But this was my choice, not the rule.

I repeat, to my knowledge, the only rule was that you can post an item for sale On the public portion of the form, but the actual selling of the item must be done through private message. Not on the public board.

Unspoken/unwritten rules, Are ambiguous and cannot really be enforced. Making up rules as we go along doesn't work very well. The rules of this board should be posted, and be clear.

if you wish to post something for sale, it is fine with me. And I cannot speak for everyone else, but for me only, I prefer a definite price with pictures. I do not want to turn this board into an auction site, nor do I want just anyone to start selling items here. This is not eBay or Craigslist. but I am not the moderator. And I do not make the rules. Nor do I enforce them. as far as the rules go, when in doubt ask question first. And only take the moderators answer, or at least someone who has been here many many years and has at least 2000 posts or more.

stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

Honestly, this seems pretty childish considering you're the one that can't come up with a price that you want, or post pictures in your ad.

You don't have to worry about me buying anything though and that goes for ebay also. :)

Listing without prices and pictures was a bad idea, I clearly see that now. I can't/couldn't upload pictures fast enough to keep up with the PM's I was receiving so I took them down. I thought I could leave it up to each interested party to offer a fair price on the item they were interested in, exchange photos when possible, and go from there. That's not how things unfolded.

I was wrong. I was wrong about a lot of things. Until things are cleared up I will not post anything for sale. I use this site a lot for gleaning information and would like to continue to do so without any ill feelings towards anyone, or anyone having any ill feelings towards myself.

Right now as it is it seems you are the person that has the most problem with me I am offering you a sincere apology and a virtual handshake. You make accept it, deny it, or ignore it.

Starting a chaotic thread was never, ever, my intention and again I apologize to the board as a whole and to Thomas our Moderator.

Right now as it is it seems you are the person that has the most problem with me I am offering you a sincere apology and a virtual handshake. You make accept it, deny it, or ignore it.

No worries there, I accept your apology, not looking for any fights. I really only took exception to your not listing a price and then even after I asked you for one, you asked for an offer. After the fact, telling me I was low balling you was not how I saw it.

Starting a chaotic thread was never, ever, my intention and again I apologize to the board as a whole and to Thomas our Moderator.

Hmmm...no Thomas as moderator here, Brad Jacobs is the moderator.

Back