What's new
What's new

South Bend 16" gears

brentd27

Plastic
Working on restoring a 1947 South Bend 16x60. Were there any lathes of that model made without gearboxes? The parts manuals I've seen list single and double tumbler gear boxes, but make no mention of a no gearbox option. The leadscrew on this lathe looks like it should have a gearbox on it.

I cant tell you what year that changed but by 1947 I think they all had gearboxes. Unless you could have special ordered it. Yours must be missing.
The S.B. experts will most likely respond. soon.

Look for pre 1923 catalogs for individual gear change lathe's
You could look through some of the catalogs in vintage machinery or Steve Wells website to see exactly what year that changed.

South Bend Lathe Works - Publication Reprints | VintageMachinery.org

The SBL Workshop

Working on restoring a 1947 South Bend 16x60. Were there any lathes of that model made without gearboxes? The parts manuals I've seen list single and double tumbler gear boxes, but make no mention of a no gearbox option. The leadscrew on this lathe looks like it should have a gearbox on it.

To be a '47, it will have to have a serial ending with H

You could still get a 16 standard change in '38 - and probably later too

Page 7 here

http://www.wswells.com/data/catalog/cat_bl_16c/cat_bl_16c.pdf

My mistake, it was a 1942. Serial number 123,498.

Here's a couple of pics of the lathe in question:

20181213_185015.jpg

20181213_185030.jpg

And here is the serial number card:

123498.jpg

brentd27, Your lathe was original manufactured as a change gear lathe (no quick change gearbox). That lever clutch apron, however, not so original. No reverse gearing? I hope you got a pile of change gears with the lathe. PB p.s. Is the headstock missing an oil cup
for the spindle on the left? better fix that.

I've already managed to get a reverse lever, spindle take up nut, and spindle gear. Didn't get any change gears with it other than that massive gear that's on there. A friend is trading me the lathe in exchange for some electronics help. It came with his house and he has no use for it.

Don't know about the oiler. Will have to look at that the next time I'm in the shop. I'm still building my shop so it's still in his garage.

be careful with this one....could end up a bottomless money pit real easy.

someone was taking parts off it, could be a reason....investigation before investment is wise.

as it no doubt needs it anyway, would strip it down to check things out before buying anything....if it's toast part it out.

I knew the lathe's previous owner (before the owner that gave it to me). He used the lathe to make parts for his classic car ccollection. Everything that guy owned was scrounged. His water heater had a massive dent in the side. He bragged about finding it at a dump. I'm sure he bought the lathe probably for scrap price and cobbled it together enough to use it for what he wanted.

Back