What's new
What's new

South Bend 17" Turn-Nado wiring issue

magatech

Plastic
I just got this lathe over the weekend and there is ONE wire from the JOG-SAFE-RUN switch on the front panel that is not connected to anything. I need to know if there is a schematic or wiring diagram available for these old Furnas Electric Control panels. I have verified that the wire is in fact from the switch I mentioned. All other wires from the control panel are connected....right or wrong. I have attached pictures so you can see what I am referring to. I can get the lathe to run, but not with the control panel switches.20210322_142853.jpg20210322_143014.jpg20210322_142844.jpg

Welcome to the forum, what terminal does the wire come from on the switch panel? If nothing is presently working the wire in question may be the hot wire supplying control power to the panel. Jim

Jim, thanks for the welcome :cheers: I used to be a "regular" over on Corvette Forum. It does seem that the wire is the "hot wire", but I have tried connecting it to power and it still does not allow anything on the control panel to work. I have a suspicion that someone has "rewired" the control panel and they have put wires in the wrong places. What I need is someone that has one of these to either take some pictures for me or if someone has a wiring diagram of the machine I can make all the changes and get it running. Since the Switch is the RUN/SAFE/JOG...it is the power for the entire panel. This is the CL-170E 17" Turn-Nado.

is the jog switch a spring return momentary? The run should be a maintained contact. The hot should feed from a fuse if possible off of the line side of the contactor to a common point connected to both the jog switch and the run switch through the contact of the safe position, (when the pb is in the safe position no power goes to either the jog or run switch). From the run switch the wire should go to one side of the stop pushbutton which should be a normally closed contact. From the other side of the stop switch it should go to one side of the forward pushbutton which should be a normally open momentary contact that energizes the forward coil of the contactor and latches in the coil through a set of contacts on the starter.Pressing the forward pb starts the motor in a forward direction. When you stop the machine you push the stop button and it drops out the coil. (sorry if you already know this and for being long winded) Hope this helps and be careful. Jim

Back