What's new
What's new

South Bend 5c collet draw bar disassembly

Dumpster_diving

Cast Iron
I'm in the process of rebuilding what I believe is a SB 5c collet draw bar. Almost done disassembling and hit a snag.

Can anyone tell me whether the Handwheel Sleeve and the Draw Bar Sleeve (parts 3 and 6 in the attached diagram) are just a press fit? Don't see any obvious means of attachment but am reluctant to just start pressing apart in case they're threaded or pinned together. Some signs a previous 'mechanic' took a rigid pipe wrench to the handwheel so I'm reluctant to follow suit.

www.wswells.com/data/parts/923E.pdf

Thanks in advance.

Been 15+ yrs since I took one apart. But looking at the diagram I recall a pair of pins ground flush to ID of drawbar, and to the OD of sleeve as shown in diagram. Once pins are removed everything slides off and comes apart. There is no press fit between items #3 & #6.

Thanks for weighing in morsetaper2.

You're correct about the two pins, but I've removed those and yet the Hand wheel sleeve and Drawbar sleeve still seem pressed tightly together. Whole assembly rotates freely on the bearings around the tube. Just taking more pressure to pop that Hand wheel sleeve off from around the bearings than I would expect.

If no-one weighs in that they're threaded or otherwise connected I'll take a chance and start pressing apart.

Just didn't want to proceed in haste if anyone knew for sure.

I think its just a remaining raised burr between the sleeve & drawbar holding it together. Unless somebody else has been in there and changed something. I think I have one of the drawbar assys still, as the 5C threads were toast. And it has been taken apart where you are interested. If I can remember, I'll take a look once I am home.

Much appreciated. Don't go to the trouble of pulling your old one out just yet.

I'll ream out the pin holes first and try a light but firm press and see what happens. If it really seems like I might break something I'll stop and may ask you to take a peek at yours. I'll report back Monday.

And thanks!

Quick update from this weekend effort.

Reamed the two pin holes to remove burrs. Slathered the joint with penetrating oil. Preheated (not with a bernzomatic but one of those smaller butane jewelry-making torches). Too hot to touch but I could go hotter, just didn't want to damage what looks like a rubber bearing seal. Rested the assembly on a couple of aluminum parallels and pressed my full weight on the end of the handle of a FAMCO #3 arbor press.

No movement in the sleeve at all. Nothing damaged, so I count it as a modest not complete fail.

Morsetaper2 if you wouldn't mind checking your parts to confirm it's just a press fit (or Ted if you wouldn't mind confirming you know that to be true) I'd appreciate confirmation- in which case I'll use more heat and a hydraulic press.

Again, thanks all for the folks who have weighed in.

Circling back to close out the thread. Successfully separated the draw tube from the bearing assembly. It was a very tight press-fit.

I think the penetrating oil helped as did the earlier application of heat. I did not re-apply heat but I think the light heat a few days ago loosened things up a little. The other advice I'd offer for any attempting the same is I turned a close-fitting ring to support the edge of the collar being pressed off in the arbor press. I think that full support around the perimeter of the collar spread the force more evenly than the aluminum parallel I had been using. Also, I supported the part in the arbor press such that the lever arm of the press was horizontal. More force directly down and less force trying to tip my press table over.

Now on to attempting to shorten the tube to fit a smaller lathe.

Thank you to all who weighed in with the press-fit advice. Much appreciated.

Back