What's new
What's new

South Bend 8"x36"

cyclefrog

Plastic
Good Morning PM members,
I'm trying to get a sense of a reasonable current price for an older manual South Bend 8x36" lathe offered on Craigslist in Southern California. I saw some old posts (ten years ago) mentioning $450 for the same lathe. Someone in my area has one listed for $1250. Is that a fair number for this machine if it's in decent and functional condition? It has the following offered with it. A quick set three jaw chuck.
optional extra gears, an extra 3 and an extra 4 jaw chuck.
and a face plate for flat work

I'm planning on using the lathe to create tooling dies for my sheet metal working devices. Bead roller and English wheel.

Thanks in advance. Matt

I live in Oklahoma, a rather lathe poor area (meaning high prices), and got a nice 1980s 10k for 100 more than that. Seems like there are lots of lathes in the SoCal area on the bay, as I was jealous of them when I was hunting mine earlier this year. I'd keep looking.

if near perfect with a lot of goodies, but having change gears that would be OK to high.
likely you might get a 10 or 12 x 36 with quick change box for around that price.

Best to pay a little more up front to get what you need. That is better than searching for stuff later, logan and and Rockwell are also good names for a decent lathe. Often one finds other projects for a lathe

10 or 1236 takes little more room and is a handy size.

Here a California SB with QC gear box for $950 but even that may be high depending on condition.
Used South Bend Lathe - tools - by owner - sale

English wheel tooling likely that lathes is small and a 12" would be more suited.
English Wheel: Manufacturing & Metalworking | eBay

$1200 calusing exclent condition ..this may be good, or not?1200
Metal Lathe 5' bed with stand - tools - by owner - sale

I personally saw this lathe. Its cute and its rare and its collectible, but that's about all its got going for it.

It has .0015+ static vertical play at the spindle nose. Its been poorly maintained...no, VERY poorly maintained. The oil and chips on it are from the last time he used it...15 years ago.

Parts are hard to find. Its too small to be a good worker. I'd love to have it, for about 300.

The owner did his own runout test and informed me that it only has .0002 runout. I told him, that runout and wear arent necessarily the same thing. He's convinced its gold, so he wont move on the price.

I like it because its unique, but that's all.

Back