What's new
What's new

South bend 84a seems slow

Mama_tried

Plastic
I purchased a 1929 84a last week it’s running a 1 hp 1725 motor. I was really surprised by how slow the machine is? I’m guessing it at 250-300 rpms on the fastest pulley combo. It seems the 84a is rare so I can’t find videos of any of them running but the similar 9” version seems much faster in videos? Am I stuck with the slow speed or can i get more out of it?

Thanks
Dane

Thanks that’s some good literature.. I’m used to working with a little more speed, is there a safe RPMs that has been found to take the older machines to without damaging the internals?

I'm not sure of your knowledge of these old lathes so this may be a foolish question but, do you maybe have the backgear engaged? It changes the gearing so that the lathe can run slower.

FWIW

-Ron

Nail on the head

I'm not sure of your knowledge of these old lathes so this may be a foolish question but, do you maybe have the backgear engaged? It changes the gearing so that the lathe can run slower.

FWIW

-Ron

Thanks Ron.. I’ve have zero knowledge of these machines and that was exactly what was wrong.. it is very usable now! Huge difference!

Dane

Last edited:

Back