What's new
What's new

South Bend 9 inch lathe

James Shepherd

Plastic
i am trying to disassemble my father's SB lathe. I am not sure of the proper name but the the upper most part that holds the tool is broken and I want to replace it. SB Co. was no help. There is a set screw in the indexed knob-crank- dial or what ever it is called. I cannot get it out even though I soaked it with Liquid Wrench. Does that screw need to be removed? I hate to try to drill it or use heat. any help will be appreciated. thks in advance Jim

Two things:
1.We have a South Bend forum, you need to post this over there.
2. You should post a photo of what you are talking about. I cannot make sense of it.

Any pictures? The part that holds the tool would be called a tool post. If the set screw(s) are broken, I'd assume they are tightened down too much and I doubt penetrating oil alone will help. Drilling it out down to the tool may release enough pressure and spin right out.

i am trying to disassemble my father's SB lathe. I am not sure of the proper name but the the upper most part that holds the tool is broken and I want to replace it. SB Co. was no help. There is a set screw in the indexed knob-crank- dial or what ever it is called. I cannot get it out even though I soaked it with Liquid Wrench. Does that screw need to be removed? I hate to try to drill it or use heat. any help will be appreciated. thks in advance Jim

Wow... there is this new technology thing called a camera that takes a still picture of items you are trying to describe. I haven't had a chance to get my hands on one yet, but I hope to in the near future. You might try to get your hands on one of those things and USE IT!

Hello James, I'm new here also.
I've just disassembled a 9" so I might be able to help a little.
Is this the piece you're talking about?tool holder 4.jpg
Or this?tool holder 1.jpg

Pictures would help quite a bit since you are not sure of the lathe part names. I agree, it is difficult to know what for sure you are referring to. For example Neagle responds regarding the tool post where I was interpreting your request about the compound and compound feed screw. Perhaps one of the Southbend lathe members can direct you to a diagram of parts specific to your lathe. Using the correct part names is essential to good communication and will result in better more direct responses.

Also look for a book called “How to Run a Lathe” by Southbend lathe company. Here is a link:

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/3789.pdf

There are also newer editions.

Guys, it is pretty clear what he is talking about. A set screw in an indexed knob-crank-dial. It is the set screw on the compound dial that locks the dial to the crank. Someone along the way probably replaced the knurled thumb screw with a set screw. I've seen that before.

IIRC, it does not need to be removed, but you do need to loosen and unscrew the bushing to get the screw assembly out of the compound.

What good does being snarky to a new guy do?

QT Op: [i am trying to disassemble my father's SB lathe.]
If you don't even know the name of the what is it then you are not qualified to tear it down.. better stop before you break something.

Come on guys (the snarky ones) cut him some slack. He may be a little green, but trying to learn. He seems fairly well spoken and polite.

I've been a mechanic for over 30 years and wouldn't dream of saying I knew everything about cars. I'm learning every day, and teaching the younger guys. I find that I can learn as much or by helping them as I could learn by reading or other ways of obtaining knowledge. When I was a teenager I learned by taking things apart and figuring out how they work, still do. If I broke something in the process that meant I had to learn how to fix it. Drill, easy out. Drill out broken easy out, ect… That being said, I can appreciate how some people feel when others that don't know ask what seem to be silly questions. I then ask; How are they supposed to find the correct answers? Or where to find the correct answers?
I purchased an old 9" that I had to take apart to get in my basement. I didn't even know it was an SB lathe until I starting cleaning it up. Then I found this treasure trove of information called The Practical Machinist Forum and have already get helped by some very fine people. Swells put up a link to the "How to Run a Lathe" from 1930. The year my lathe had been built. I had no idea where to find this type of information without his help. Didn't even know it existed.

Sorry for the long rant, but I see that James only has the 1 post. Which means he may not be back. He may have had information that could have helped the next guy.

Back