What's new
What's new

South Bend 9" Model A value?

doninreno

Plastic
Sorry if this has been asked somewhere on this forum before, but I couldn't see anything really close...SO...

The queen of my house is wondering how much she should ask for my lathe in case I get killed by a bus tomorrow or something. It is an AC 110 volt powered 9 inch South Bend Model A with a 3 /12 foot bed, quick change gearbox, power cross feed and it has the original base with the motor under the left side and three drawers on the right side. I also have to go with it, a 3 jaw chuck, a 4 jaw chuck, a collet chuck w/a home made drawbar (also 4 or 5 collets),a 110 volt AC toolpost grinder, a steady rest and a fair assortment of cutting and general tools (to include both a rocker tool post and a QC one), a set of collets that comes with a collet holder (taper is for the headstock). The lathe is in pretty good shape considering its age and DOES have some wear, but not too bad. It will make accurate cuts down to less than .001 inch if I am careful to take up all slack before making the cut.

It is located in RENO, NEVADA and there don't seem to be lots of lathes around here because any lathe that doesn't need to be moved by an 18 wheeler seems to sell fairly quickly. So, ANYONE got any idea how much it is worth? How much would be a good "asking" price? I'd really prefer to see it all go in one sale, as she would get totally screwed up trying to piece-meal it out.

TIA!!

Don J
Reno, NV

Did you ever hear the phrase-- I used it all these years and it doesn't owe me a nickle? If that machine kept you from spending time with your wife or kids over the years they will not give a crap what someone offers for it. They will be happy to see it go. No matter what you say it is worth.

You guys are a big, help...the problem is that she is a retired accountant and she thinks that the value of something is what it is worth on the market. She couldn't care less how much fun I had using it or whatever. HOPEFULLY I will live at least 20 more years (Hey, i'm only 70 now!) and it won't be for sale for a LONG time, but she wants me to make o list of all my toys and their current values "just in case". So, Steven-Canada, don't get your hopes up...it WILL NOT be for sale for a (HOPEFULLY) LLLOOONNGG time! My dad lived to be 94 and his brother died one week short of his 101st birthday....i'm thinking that unless I screw up badly and do myself in, I have genetics in my favor!!

Last edited:
I can't believe your "Mrs" is actually focusing on such an occurrence. It almost sounds like she is hoping you'll pop your clogs soon so she can cash in!

Just sold a 1944 South Bend 9A. Had some bed wear, needed a start capacitor, and was generally dirty. With a ton of tooling, collets, chucks, on an original military base cabinet. $1400 cash. Was on craigslist for months, but then the right guy saw it and didn't even try to haggle. I would expect a little more in the west/ midwest as there just aren't as many around. Here on the east coast these things are hiding all over due to the industrial history..

The thing is, it is worth what a buyer will pay. They generally sell in the $500 to $2500 range, but could be more or less. I was in Iowa when I bought mine and had to wait for almost a year for one to come along within driving range. And I was not limiting myself to SB. I paid around $900 for a 9C with two chucks and some tooling and a steel bench.

I would tell her to start it at $2000 and drop the price until it sells. Perhaps $25 or $50 a week.

Two years ago I got a SB 9" UMD with taper attachment, chucks, collets, KDK QCTP, Diamond 22M horizontal mill, measuring tools, tool boxes and raw material (brass, steel, stainless steel, and various plastics) for $ 800 in Southern California.

100_9149.jpg

YMMV

John

Back