What's new
What's new

South Bend 9 owned by VonDutch

What a great example of The master's work.
Black Japan type of finish looks great and is hard to beat.

Hal

ha!...."said to be owned"....

seller- hey,Bubba! say this lathe was owned by Von Dutch
Bubba- that lathe was owned by Von Dutch?

listing- lathe said to be owned by Von Dutch for sale!!

it is a cool relatively rare old 459 though, looks in good shape with factory risers.

ha!...."said to be owned"....

seller- hey,Bubba! say this lathe was owned by Von Dutch
Bubba- that lathe was owned by Von Dutch?

listing- lathe said to be owned by Von Dutch for sale!!

it is a cool relatively rare old 459 though, looks in good shape with factory risers.

It seems the real lathe from the bus is in the bus now, Kafka paid $25K for it, a sheldon. How many lathes would von dutch have owned? Is there room for two in a bus??

The gavel fell at $5813, a far cry from the $21,275 it sold for in 2006. That 2006 sale is probably highest price ever paid for a 9" SB. I wonder if that sale is what some sellers, like "crash" base their prices on.

in the collecting world "said to be" aint good enuf...without proof its simply a nice old SB lathe.

provenance is everything....maybe i should pinstripe my lathe tho.:)

The Sothebys sale looks like his estate sale, but hard to say, I have looked thru a bit of the catalog, its some crazy high prices, but that was 2006 when cash flowed like cheap wine.

Edit: Make sure to sign that pinstripping, or have some kind of logo!

The gavel fell at $5813, a far cry from the $21,275 it sold for in 2006. That 2006 sale is probably highest price ever paid for a 9" SB. I wonder if that sale is what some sellers, like "crash" base their prices on.

Poor guy that got suckered probably said: I bought it because von dutch was supposed to have owned it... :nutter: and had to sell it because he did not.... :angry:

The Sothebys sale looks like his estate sale, but hard to say, I have looked thru a bit of the catalog, its some crazy high prices, but that was 2006 when cash flowed like cheap wine.

Edit: Make sure to sign that pinstripping, or have some kind of logo!

How many lathes would he have owned? Seems the one in the bus is authenticated.... I guess it is possible he could have got tired of the SB and moved up to that sheldon at some point.

Guy lived a crazy life and was always moving shops and towns... wouldn't be surprised if it was his. That said I would also not be surprised if it was faked. I would much prefer to own something he actually made than a tool of his.

Guy lived a crazy life and was always moving shops and towns... wouldn't be surprised if it was his. That said I would also not be surprised if it was faked. I would much prefer to own something he actually made than a tool of his.

Good point.
Jeff Decker and his dad got to pre-pick through Von Dutch's stuff and passed on his paint box & brushes, picking (among other things) a gorgeous wooden sign of a rifle, beautifully painted/striped. It hangs in Decker's Hippodrome Studio.

Jeff told me the paint box ended up selling for way more $$$ than he could imagine the sign ever going for. He still felt the sign was cooler, though.

Back