What's new
What's new

South Bend 9 x 4 1/2 - Wide Bed

johntracy14

Plastic
View attachment 332473

Hello Everyone. I am pretty new to lathes and have recently acquired a 1928 South Bend 9" 4 1/2 foot lathe. I originally thought it was a standard 9A due to it having the quick change box. I ordered the maintenance kit along with the restoration book from eBay to start cleaning and getting everything squared away. Then I deployed for a year. When I came back, a family member had tried to move the lathe with an engine hoist and it fell a short distance and broke off the handle for the cross feed screw on the saddle. I was able to find a screw on ePay to replace it so I ordered it. Long story short...I very quickly found out I do not have an average 9" SB. I then tried to dismantle the cross-feed screw out of the saddle and ended up buggering the assembly up pretty good. There is a total of 7" width between the cross-rails of the bed. This has made finding replacement parts a little tricky since most parts of ePay are for the standard width bed.

Does anyone have for sale or no where I could find a complete saddle assembly that would fit on top of the apron I have (see picture). As stated before, this is a wide gap bed. I do have a very nice complete saddle assembly for a standard 9" that I need to get rid of if any one is in need of one.

I really any assistance you all could offer.

Thank you,

John

if it's one from the same era (<1931 I think) then it should do. The 9 and 10" lathes of that time were the same other than the headstock and tailstock (base?). That's why they're called "heavy 9s".

View attachment 332473

Hello Everyone. I am pretty new to lathes and have recently acquired a 1928 South Bend 9" 4 1/2 foot lathe. I originally thought it was a standard 9A due to it having the quick change box. I ordered the maintenance kit along with the restoration book from eBay to start cleaning and getting everything squared away. Then I deployed for a year. When I came back, a family member had tried to move the lathe with an engine hoist and it fell a short distance and broke off the handle for the cross feed screw on the saddle. I was able to find a screw on ePay to replace it so I ordered it. Long story short...I very quickly found out I do not have an average 9" SB. I then tried to dismantle the cross-feed screw out of the saddle and ended up buggering the assembly up pretty good. There is a total of 7" width between the cross-rails of the bed. This has made finding replacement parts a little tricky since most parts of ePay are for the standard width bed.

Does anyone have for sale or no where I could find a complete saddle assembly that would fit on top of the apron I have (see picture). As stated before, this is a wide gap bed. I do have a very nice complete saddle assembly for a standard 9" that I need to get rid of if any one is in need of one.

I really any assistance you all could offer.

Thank you,

John
I might have what you need.
Send me an email with pictures.
Ted
[email protected]

Back