What's new
What's new

South Bend 9A Adjustment Question

ng19delta

Aluminum
Simple question- How can I tighten the wing handle for the compound feed on the crossfeed on my 9A? I notice I'll set it, next thing I know, it is dropping back out of position- no friction holding it in place... I tried tightening the weird nut in the handle, but no soap...

Scott

Tighten the gib strip screws on the side of the compound slightly. Also determine if cutting forces are to blame. If you are boring for instance, you have to take up the backlash by withdrawing the compound, instead of feeding inward.

allan

Tighten the gib strip screws on the side of the compound slightly. Also determine if cutting forces are to blame. If you are boring for instance, you have to take up the backlash by withdrawing the compound, instead of feeding inward.

allan

Thanks, Allen- I'll give them a shot!

Scott

Yep- That helped a good bit... Got started practicing threading- At this point, I'm simply getting the process down: Starting to get the hang of it. I haven't really gone for an exact dimension yet- simply trueing the round stock, then cutting a thread onto it... Then trimming it back off, and doing another thread... I've cut about 6 so far- a few more times, and I may have my 1" rod stock practice piece down to a 1/4-20... :D Then more practice...

Scott

Back