What's new
What's new

South Bend 9A or Clausing 100 ?

Fastbackperry

Plastic
I posted earlier but dont see my post so here goes again.

Looking for some advise on whether to keep a Clausing 100 mk3 without gearbox or a SB 9A with a gearbox. The Clausing is in good shape but no QCG and has a missing tooth on crossfeed gear so needs that. The SB is in excellent shape with only a sloppy cross feed nut. Which machine is better to keep? Where does a person get the cross feed nut part? Thanks. Perry 253 802 1138

A gear change box is a really nice feature that you will enjoy. Without a taper attachment neither one are long term keepers to me but I am picky like that. How do the spindle speeds compare? How about the spindle through hole?

I have both, except my SB9 uses change gears like my Clausing. If you can only have one, I would keep which ever one that can be made whole fastest and cheapest. I beleive, the SB is more sought after than the Clausing, sorta like a Corvette or a Corvair. Both will get you to town.

Both of mine are from the 40's, so 80 years of invention since they were made. But they are fun to use.

Try your question over at OWWM.

Carl

Thank you fellas for the two bits. I had my eye on a SB 10L but the guy flaked out so I was thinking a little nicer than these two but not by much. Selling both for something nicer is a good idea and something I was trying to do with the 10L.

What is the OWWM?

Where is the best place to buy that SB cross feed nut? Is it the guy on Ebay? Nice but expensive.

Thanks

Perry

Back