What's new
What's new

South bend 9a feed change lever

Jordan429

Plastic
Feed change lever will engage the carriage feed (up position) but having trouble getting it to engage cross feed (down position) any suggestions thanks

The 9c is the only version that doesn’t have powered cross feed. Sometimes when it sticks try turning your cross feed dial handle while your trying to engage it. Otherwise you may need to oil it up.

I tried wiggling cross slide I've had the apron off twice it would engage on the bench, a little tough.but wont go in wen on lathe.i cant figure out why the gears wont mesh. Everything looks clean

Also my clutch fell out on the bench any one have a diagram of how it goes together there is a metal clip not sure where or how it goes in thanks

Also my clutch fell out on the bench any one have a diagram of how it goes together there is a metal clip not sure where or how it goes in thanks

If you are talking about the clutch "star" knob on the front of the saddle that engages the clutch, then it is held on by a slotted machine screw with
left-hand threads. If you are talking about the mechanism itself on the inner side of the apron, then you will more than likely need to remove the apron to fix it.

At the end of the clutch shaft (opposite the knob) is a set of two semi-circular discs that fit into the spring-loaded shaft itself. If these parts are what fell out, then yes, you will have to remove the apron to reinstall them.

I can't imagine these fell out on their own. This would only happen if the star knob was removed and the shaft pushed inward, releasing the discs.
But I think the oil reservoir shield will keep the shaft from being pushed inward to the point of the discs falling out. Is your reservoir plate in place?
This may also have something to do with the feed lever not cooperating.

I would highly recommend your getting the ILION book for the Model 9A. You'll need it eventually, if not for this issue.
Good luck.

PS: Just read that it fell out while on the bench; disregard your need to remove it...it already is.

PMc

View attachment 328027

Last edited:
I had my apron off wen it fell out but mine has a clip along with two half moon pieces and I don't know how clip goes in.didnt see the clip in your picture

I had my apron off wen it fell out but mine has a clip along with two half moon pieces and I don't know how clip goes in.didnt see the clip in your picture

I've done two 9" lathe rebuilds and neither had a clip on that shaft for the "expanders". I checked the Steve Brooks manual and he does mention that
"on some models there is a wire retaining clip on the expanders".
So I guess you are right about that. Unfortunately, I don't know what they look like nor how they fit.

By the way, while disassembling my latest lathe, I did find a strange clip, but I don't remember where I found it.. It is very small and very light,
and thought it to be some misc piece from another owners project. Perhaps I'll post a photo of it later on.

Sorry I couldn't help.

Back