What's new
What's new

what happened to all the pages????

iwananew10K

Diamond
hope it's just me but tried to search the forum and found there are only 2 pages...everything else is GONE?

If that is the case so much for a searchable database...

hope it's just me but tried to search the forum and found there are only 2 pages...everything else is GONE?

If that is the case so much for a searchable database...

It's only a "pretend to be" Object-Relational DB. MySQL+InnoDB grafted-on arse-end to (attempt to) cover some MAJOR design flaws. "VB" doing, not PM's fault. Been covered.

What you seek is probably still "there" anyway.

Give me a hint what you seek and I'll have a recce.

was looking for a specific picture to help a member who PMed me....keyword was "apron" with results pertaining to my screenname....should have pulled a dozen pages..I would have known what a was looking for when I saws it so doubt it would make sense to anyone else.

Sounds like the pooch is screwed.:(

was looking for a specific picture to help a member who PMed me....keyword was "apron" with results pertaining to my screenname....should have pulled a dozen pages..I would have known what a was looking for when I saws it so doubt it would make sense to anyone else.

Sounds like the pooch is screwed.:(

Nature of the beast, but LoginID doesn't work well as a key on ANY "inside PM" search.

Not sure Go Ogle is any better on that key, either.

Look down into the "beard" on the chin of this very thread:

All you see TO DATE are;

Tags for this Thread

case, database, hope, pages, searchable

The HSM site is VB too and has no such issues...no log in difficulties,no constant reloading.....(the content kind of sucks tho)...as a site it's golden in comparison.

I can hardly navigate here now.

The HSM site is VB too and has no such issues...no log in difficulties,no constant reloading.....(the content kind of sucks tho)...as a site it's golden in comparison.

I can hardly navigate here now.

Watch hafta grok is... that for a Relational DB support structure and engine, any keys and indices can easily grow to exceed the size of the raw data itself several times over.

Where the "records" are narrative text PLUS now-and-then graphics files and/or offsite links, as forum posts ARE, that happens in the first few MONTHS if not WEEKS of operation.

Unless ... indexing is made exceedingly LEAN. AND THEN ALSO, regularly pruned.

As has been the case recent years, PM being a far, far, higher traffic site than - for example "thermite" finds when he motors off to the also VB-driven but lower, slower rate of change Jaguar motorcar forums.

- VB devel will not use the more stable, powerful, lower-maintenance PostgreSQL Object/Relational DB. It's F/LOSS licensed. VB want closed or nearly-so source code.

- VB devel cannot utilize a pure "Object" DB, such as Z-Server/Medusa that has supported Zope/Plone for CBS news, the FBI, NASA, etc (including some of my own websites..) in times past. Too slow nowadays for the rate of change PM presents, but OY! that Dublin Core metadata & indexing works seriously well.

Compromise? Google - indexes from bacterium and quark level to galaxy level.
We have no real choice but to rely on that.

That's why Google has taken it on themselves to decide who the next President of the USA shall be.

Irony? google's own search function rats itself out!

Search on:

google influencing elections

We brain crippled peons are too ignorant to make that sort of choice on our own. Can't get at the data we no longer control, so we'll be KEPT ignorant, too.

:(

Last edited:
in the words of some dude I never knew...

"bummer"

I'm tellin' yah - from having both a "vintage" 10EE plus a Cazaneuve HBX need to know that has caused searches back to year ONE off PM's history... the info you seek is ALMOST CERTAINLY "still there". Mind - the photos may NOT be.

You/I/We... just have to work a bit harder at more cleverly constructed searches is all.

example: That "dude you never knew"?

A Way with Words | Bummer Origins

intext:"iwananew10K" intext:"apron" -site:"cache:"https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/images

south bend lathe 9" apron practical machinest site:www.practicalmachinist.com - Bing
edit; Click the first half of the link above.
I may be completely missing the point of what pages are missing but here is an example of a bing search with words {. 9" south bend lathe apron practical machinest}.
Im guessing most search the same way. Is it an issue with P M's search engine?
Page after page but can narrow it down with better key words.

I don't use pm's search engine

south bend lathe 9" apron practical machinest site:www.practicalmachinist.com - Bing
edit; Click the first half of the link above.
I may be completely missing the point of what pages are missing but here is an expmple of a bing search with words {. 9" south bend lathe apron practical machinest}.
Im guessing most search the same way. Is it an issue with P M's search engine?
Page after page but can narrow it down with better key words.

I don't use pm's search engine

As said - PM's toolset doesn't have anywhere near the horsepower to even index its own content well, let alone search on that.

As to bing, and others. I'm not a go ogle fanboy, but the hard reality is that PM is a site optimized for working with google in many ways - assisting with the build of search "helpers" high on the list.

I can't see fighting that on emotion or politics when I need to search PM. OTHER stuff, maybe.

As said - PM's toolset doesn't have anywhere near the horsepower to even index its own content well, let alone search on that.

As to bing, and others. I'm not a go ogle fanboy, but the hard reality is that PM is a site optimized for working with google in many ways - assisting with the build of search "helpers" high on the list.

I can't see fighting that on emotion or politics when I need to search PM. OTHER stuff, maybe.

Actually I was just going for the Google image link:

https://www.google.com/search?q=int...=2ahUKEwisqMn6iKPjAhXhB50JHaAeArgQsAR6BAgDEAE

Steve

I'm going to put the link Steve just posted in a file. That could be added to a Stickey
The amount of information we have at the tip of our fingers still impresses me. It continues to snowball as we add to it. Steve's website, Keith's Vintage Machinery, Milacron's Practical machinist. The number of people that use these websites for reference added to the members has to be a huge number. I joined pm in 2016 but visited the site for answers and reference hundreds to over a thousand times from the early forum years.
as the web grows getting information gets easier to glean.
As a young man in the 70's you went to a library or searched the country side.
The generations that are growing up with the internet are at an advantage if they use it right. Not face book and social drama.

Compromise? Google - indexes from bacterium and quark level to galaxy level.
We have no real choice but to rely on that.

To reduce the tech talk in themite's post to understandable google has a better index and search on the site than the sites own search function.
You do not want to know the why and how. Leave that to the geeks and hackers.
Bob

Got me frightened there for a bit - thought all the files had gone.

But, when I see something interesting on here I always save it as an HTML file. I've just checked some of the links back to 2007 when I joined and every topic, thread, & file I tried is still there.

I can breathe again!!

Skilly

Back