What's new
What's new

South Bend 9A Quick Change Gear box

Rover

Plastic
Hi,

After converting my 9C to a 9A I found out the gear box leaks oil badly.

Replacing the sinter bushings and felts does not impact the oil leak.

So now I am considering two actions and need some advice ...

1) Does anyone know what kind of steel the gear shafts are made off?

2) Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on how to properly align the bore the gear shaft casing on the "non-sinter" bushed shaft end?

Thank you

Rover

I thought they were *supposed* to leak, being a total-loss oiling system. Have you checked the bearing bore to shaft clearances? If those are OK then I wouldn't even worry about it. Just keep it topped up. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be here in a bit.

Its unlikely the shaft is worn enough to matter, the bushings and bores are supposed to take the wear. Frankly I doubt it matters much what steel to sue, but if possible I would want something like 1045

After converting my 9C to a 9A I found out the gear box leaks oil badly.

The gear box (like most of the oiling points) is a flow-thru system - ie, no sump. That means that any oil you put into the gear box winds up on the bench. Now how fast the oil gets to the bench depends on the condition of your oil wicks. If they are worn (or even gone), oil will go thru the box like crap thru a goose. This is one reason why we say to go thru your lathe and check/replace the wicking when you first get it.

Back