What's new
What's new

1947? South Bend 9"x36" Model C motor wiring

First of all, I am new to Lathes and this web site. I just recently bought a 9"x36" South Bend Lathe Model C, Serial Number 178409. My guess is that it is from 1947 based off the serial number and when they changed them. I ordered the serial number ID card from grizzly and waiting on it yet. My dilemma is that the motor was not connected to the forward reverse switch drum, or the lathe at that matter, and I wasn't able to see the motor operate. This might not be the original motor based on the motor mount holes for the drive pulley, they don't match and new holes where taped. The motor is listed as GE A/C motor, 1/3hp, single phase, type KC, 1725rpm, 115/230volts, 4.8/2.4amp, 60 cycle, GEJ 789, 40 degree C temp rise, continuous time rating, clock wise. The motor is missing the cover plate for the terminals which I hear haves the wiring diagram for the drum switch. I would like to use this motor, if possible, but can't find any information on how to wire this set up together. Question 1: I need the wire diagram from the motor to switch drum and service? Question 2: Alternative motor options if Question 1 fails? Thanks for your time and help!

Its relatively simple to reverse a non reversing motor, just follow the common lead into the motor, cut some of the lacing, find where it splits into 2 wires and bring the 4th wire out.

You can use a 3phase drum reversing switch to reverse a single phase motor but the problem is that the motor is always electrically connected through the switch unless you can get a 4 pole switch.

I took the motor to a electric motor repair shop to be looked at today. I split the case open and found some frail wire leads. It also looked as if someone had done some kind of work to it before. Hopefully it can be tuned up. I will re-post with updates.

Back