What's new
What's new

South Bend 9in spindle shims

w9816

Plastic
Need shims for my 1939 horizontal drive 9C (it did not have any fitted when I bought it).

fsh_design on ebay sells "SOUTH BEND LATHE 9" UNDER MOUNT LAMINATED BRASS SHIMS" but are those any different to shims for the horizontal drive, I asked the seller but he did not reply? Shape of bearing housing seems identical, more or less. Are there any other sources for ready made shims?

FYI, FSH does not have shims for horizontal drive 9in bearings (apparently they are different from the under mount shims he has on Ebay). Will make them myself (one more item on the to-do list :) )

I bet FSH would sell you a section of the laminated stock...you,can cut it yourself.

To make an imprint for the pattern just slip in a tight fitting piece of stiff paper and tighten the bolt....the brass laminated stock will cut with a utility knife.

According to the parts list, the 9N/10K horizontal drive and underneath drive take the same shims. They did not redesigned the entire headstock, just a method of driving the pulley. Everything else remained the same.

Stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

Hello, the shim set for a South Bend 9" over and under drive are different. The only shim pattern that is the same is the 10K over and under drive. I am sizing up the material for the 9" overhead tooling soon and will keep everyone apprised.

South Bend 9" overhead shims

I just finished my my South Bend 9" overhead shims Incase anyone is interested. 35.00 shipped

Back