What's new
What's new

9 JR tumbler gear

Sparkey

Aluminum
Hi all, I am looking for some info so I can reproduce an idler gear for my 9 inch JR. I got the lathe with a missing tumbler handle and gear for the single tumbler gearbox. I found a handle but not the gear and have not been able to find one. If I had the tooth count and outer diameter I can reverse engineer a new one and cut it so I can complete my rebuild of this lathe.

Thanks, Brian

Did Jrs ever have quick change boxes?? Do you actually have a "wide 9"?

Anyway, I suspect you mean the gear on the lower lever....if so it is 27 tooth 14DP and 14.5PA IIRC.

Did Jrs ever have quick change boxes?? Do you actually have a "wide 9"?

Anyway, I suspect you mean the gear on the lower lever....if so it is 27 tooth 14DP and 14.5PA IIRC.

Yes it is a wide 9 inch and it did have a quick change gear box. Yes it is the gear on the lower end of the tumbler handle on the gear box. Its the same casting and handle as an older heavy ten from what I have been able to gather. I appreciate the info.

Thanks, Brian

Hi Brian,
There are two different handles for the Wide 9 lathe, an early version supported on only one side,
and a later version supported on both sides with a needle bearing on the shaft.
the later version should interchange with an early heavy ten. However the 10L gearbox casting is not
the same as a wide 9 casting, it is supported differently to the bed and lead screw mounting is different which gave more apron clearance.
Check the boston gear catalog for a gear you can modify to fit the shaft.

Steve

Back