What's new
What's new

South Bend Cam Lock ?

djb282000

Plastic
Hello All.

I am new here and need a little help. I picked up a South Bend 14 and one of the cam locks for the chuck is missing.

I removed one of the other cams and it measures aprox: 3/4 dim, 1 inch long and has a 5/16 drive in the end.

can anyone tell me the technical name for the retainer and the screw that holds the cam in?

I did a little searching and i can find the cam but not the other parts.

I would also like to know if i should replace just one, or should they all be changed.

Thanks for the help.

Dan

3/4 cams = D1-4" - though the "chuck wrench" socket was nominally 3/8

Originally STANDARDIZED,(see ASA/ASME B5.9 Spindle Noses) but you have to assume off shore makers took whatever liberties they wanted as long as any D1-4" chuck would fit

The ORIGINAL retainer was a small hollow plug with flats to fit groove in cam, acted upon by a small compression spring held in by a screw in face of spindle nose - the very same screws that encourage folks to assume there is an extra "loose piece" bolted on:D

Hello All.

I am new here and need a little help. I picked up a South Bend 14 and one of the cam locks for the chuck is missing.

I removed one of the other cams and it measures aprox: 3/4 dim, 1 inch long and has a 5/16 drive in the end.

can anyone tell me the technical name for the retainer and the screw that holds the cam in?

I did a little searching and i can find the cam but not the other parts.

I would also like to know if i should replace just one, or should they all be changed.

Thanks for the help.

Dan
I believe the OP has an older South Bend FOURTEEN with a D1-3 camloc spindle.
Ted

those are the parts that are holding in the other 2 cams.

cam i get the cam, cap, screw and spring as a set. if not how do i go about looking them up.

does anyone have a documentation on the SB 14. are there variations in a SB 14 would a serial number or other info help the forum.

Back