What's new
What's new

South Bend catalog code words

SteveM

Diamond
I always wondered why the South Bend catalogs had weird code words for each item.

For example, a benchtop 9" model A 3' bed was Vuwab.
scan0024

I'm watching a show on CNN called "Breaking the German Enigma Code", with Dermont Turing, Alan Turing's nephew.

He mentioned that companies used code words because Western Union and other telegraph companies charged by the word and by using code words, they could compress a whole bunch of words into one, and also disguise the content from prying eyes in the telegraph office and elsewhere.

Steve

somethings just never change prying eyes right smuckerberg or is that gates both were pinched from the same mother turd

there a movie about Allan Turning called the Imitation Game how real or true to reality is another question but a entertaining movie all the same.
Its about the what he did during the war in regard to the enigma machine and cracking it.
You may want to see if you can view or download on iTunes or like.

No one has mentioned the fact that these were TELEGRAPHIC codes - back when you went down to the telegraph office to order your lathe - or a part for it

I always wondered why the South Bend catalogs had weird code words for each item.

For example, a benchtop 9" model A 3' bed was Vuwab.
scan0024

I'm watching a show on CNN called "Breaking the German Enigma Code", with Dermont Turing, Alan Turing's nephew.

He mentioned that companies used code words because Western Union and other telegraph companies charged by the word and by using code words, they could compress a whole bunch of words into one, and also disguise the content from prying eyes in the telegraph office and elsewhere.

Steve

The use of code words was to reduce the cost and improve accuracy of cable and telegraph orders. These codes persisted for a long time. One of my favorite old catalogs is a Cleveland twist drill one from 1947.

The charges were by the word, so a High Speed Taper Shank Adjustable Chucking Reamer would become Lowcow. Here are some of their examples from the catalog:

"Do not understand your order 2465; compare with our Catalog and give list numbers" becomes Assailable, Baker, Bard

The buyer's reply:

"List Number 516 wanted for our No. 2465" becomes Ascendent, Loop, Baker, Bard

Dates and quantities were also coded:

"Want list number 608 for our order March third" becomes Ascendent Lowcow, Ashdorf (third was ash, march was dorf)

"Ship by express ten dozen three-sixteenth inch Straight Shank Drills, list number one hundred eight" becomes Ash, Battable, Absorb, Labium (yes, Labium)

There was a specific order format:

1. How to be shipped
2. Quantity
3. Diameter or size
4. List number (basically part number)

In 1950, a 10 word telegraph message was about $.75, while a 3 minute phone call was $1.50. ( History of the U.S. Telegraph Industry )

Other businesses had their own codes. From Plug pulled on the world'''s last commercial electric telegraph system :

For example, the message "What is the best price delivered here for axle steel? How long does the quotation hold good? Disposed to accept any reasonable offer. Anxiously awaiting your reply. Rodgers." in the private code of the US Steel company would read "QKKMA AFBEH QPXFL QRURH QSWKU Rodgers." I think Cleveland's was better, as the use of actual words build in a bit of error correction.

I couldn't find any data on the cost of international telegrams in the 40s, but I was astounded at the cost shortly after the first international cables were laid:

The cost of early telegrams were only justified by the value of instant communication. In 1860, for example, a ten-word telegram sent from New York to New Orleans cost $2.70 (about $65 in 2012 currency). When the transcontinental telegraph opened, the cost was $7.40 for ten words (about $210), while a ten word transatlantic message to England cost $100 (about $2,600). These prices came down in time, but telegrams largely remained a tool for the corporate, the rich, and for emergencies. Despite the high cost, some 212 million telegrams were sent in the US in 1929, the peak year for such activity.

In 1950, a 10 word telegraph message was about $.75, while a 3 minute phone call was $1.50. ( History of the U.S. Telegraph Industry )

Were prices that high in 1950 ? I couldn't possibly guess on a telegram price, the phone call seems high though. Remember the phrase "drop a dime on someone" ?

I seem to remember needing $.20 for a pay phone in the 1980's. And .25 later. More for long distance. With wages and house prices what they were in 1950, $1.50 seems real high.

Then again, didn't Rock Hudson and Doris Day share a phone line in an apartment building, a telephone party line. Film, Pillow Talk 1959. Maybe cost was up there. :D

Were prices that high in 1950 ?

Texas -

Well, as a kid in the 50s I can remember if a call had to be made to relatives in California - we lived in upstate NY - my Mom would wait until evening rates kicked in, or weekend. It did make a difference. And of course you had to go through an operator. More if 'person to person'.

Even in the late 60s while in college when calling my girlfriend (who has been my wife now for over 50 years) if I remember correctly the night rates (after 11?) were an even better deal from a pay phone.

And my 12 year old grandson figures everyone has always had a cell phone to call anywhere any time. LOL

Dale

Then again, didn't Rock Hudson and Doris Day share a phone line in an apartment building, a telephone party line. Film, Pillow Talk 1959. Maybe cost was up there. :D

I remember Group Captain Lionel Mandrake having to get money out of a Coca Cola machine to call the president from a pay phone because Colonel Bat Guano doesn't carry change into battle.

Steve

Back