What's new
What's new

South Bend Drill Press - Please Help

rednet

Plastic
Dear Friends,
Please forgive me my ignorance but I am just a beginner in the field of woodworking and came across South Bend Drill Press.
I was told this drill press may be somewhat of a collectible item and although I want a good working tool, it makes it even better if it is good old American made tool.

The owner wants $400 for the press. Since I know very little about it, can someone please advise if this is a reasonable offer?
I apologize in advance for posting this here but I would really appreciate if someone can help a newbie.

Thank you in advance and best regards.

George.

DrillPress.jpg

seems a bit steep for a basic floor standing drill press, but maybe the name adds value? I would put it at around $200, particularly in your neck of the woods, but I'm no expert.

Thank you for your reply. As I have no idea how much those things go for, any advice is very much appreciated.

Yes, being made by SB adds "collectible" value. There were several US makers of drill presses that were not SB, but as you point out, being a "good old American made tool" adds cost to any of them, but probably not to the degree that SB does.

I think that it may have the multi-speed attachment on it. In my opinion that would increase the value. Hopefully someone more knowledgable will be along to comment.

The price seems high, but most sellers start high expecting lower offers. It's a bit rusty, which is not a problem, but may be a negotiating point.
There is a decent size Palmgen vice sitting on the base. That is probably worth at least $50. If that is included it makes the price a bit better.

more then likely the seller will get close to his asking price its far from a $200 drill press after all that's what H F gets for there junk and they sell them all day long just parting it out its close to a grand after all how many S B drill presses do you see out there much less a floor model . so hey guy if your looking for something real that will do what you want and won't let you down and will last your life time that the one and its a south bend

I agree with Kirk about the special speed capabilities on these SB drill presses.

A LOT of info here. South Bend Drill Press

These days, I don't think 3-4 hundred bucks is too much for an American made unit;
beats the alternative.

PMc

1) floor model

2) includes vise, hold down (?)

3) missing rear belt cover

4) has multi-speed countershaft - rare and sought-after accessory.

Buy it, fit a small 3-phase motor with VFD, and sell the countershaft here for $$$ to take the sting out of the purchase.

see? That's why it's a good idea to ask here :) I didn't notice the multi speed attachment, that definitely adds value. I was basing my estimate off what similar era floor standing DPs go for (Atlas, Craftsman, Delta, Walker Turner) which is about $200-250.

1) floor model
2) includes vise, hold down (?)
3) missing rear belt cover
4) has multi-speed countershaft - rare and sought-after accessory.

The rear belt cover was an option. Most of them don't have one. I've seen people ask $200 just for the cover

Yes, definitely has the multi-speed attachment, which can go for $100-$200 by itself. You can tell my the handle sticking out.

Also, it is the later model where the depth stop is driven off a gear in the casting and not on a bracket attached to the quill. This means that when you get to the end of the travel, it doesn't pull the quill sideways.

Has the original motor switch and light switch.

Only a few marks on the table.

Also has the spindle with the jacobs taper on it. The morse taper 2 spindle loses you about 4-5" of headroom.

Looks like it's in really good condition.

$400?

If I didn't already own one, I'd jump on that for $400.

Steve

The rear belt cover was an option. Most of them don't have one....

I learn something every day. I was pretty sure that the ones without, just had operators who found them to be in the way, and
tossed them out.

I can't tell for sure, but I think this one is also missing the 'pump up the table' widget.

see? That's why it's a good idea to ask here :) I didn't notice the multi speed attachment, that definitely adds value. I was basing my estimate off what similar era floor standing DPs go for (Atlas, Craftsman, Delta, Walker Turner) which is about $200-250.

i just sold my dads walker turner for $400 and the buyer came from yuma az. to san diego , ca. to buy it so there's money in that old cast iron . just out of school one summer i worked for a used car wholesaler he had three sayings in life .a Oklahoma credit card is a three feet long hose , the Oklahoma guaranty is if it brakes you own both hafts and there's an ass for every seat . so when your selling something and someone tells you you will never get that price for it just tell them there's an ass for every seat

005.jpg004.jpg003.jpg

The walker turner is arguably a nicer machine than the south bend - even cosmetics aside (nice presentation!) and I can state this with some assurance as I've got the SB at work and the WT at home. WT has the locking JT33 chuck and a quill lock.

Rugged, dependable, worth the money, resalable, etc, etc but having used a few in a former job, no quill lock is a pita.

If it were me, I'd look around for something else. Less well known brands, Avey, Leland Gifford, Snow, all rugged dependable prob 3 phase, perhaps needing more work and resources than you're ready to provide.

But obviously, I ain't you. For you and your situation, the SB would be a good buy.

Did you buy? :)

I'd like to put my hands on a table pump up and down thingy... those are rare.. Last I saw one was at SBLatheman's shop...

I purchased mine drill press at auction for $185 without arc of shame and with the multi speed system.

Last edited:
The price is a little high but not unreasonable. You can easily pay 1,000 for an industrial drill press. I don't see a table lift crank and that can be handy.
Chuck should be near true running. Taking hold spindle should not push-pull a great amount. should run nice and quiet. Vise include is a $20 plus.

A knock-out spindle can be handy so taper shank drills can be used, don't know if that one has that feature.

New porta cable about $500
new Delta about 15oo.
Both nice machines and having a table lift crank, but not as good as a near-perfect south bend.

Back