What's new
What's new

South bend gearbox plates

Guess I’ll just need to buy one and report back, unfortunately the seller does not include the drive screws, so I’ll need to figure that out, thinking I’ll just tap it for a #3 or #4 machine screw so it can be easily removed in the future if needed

Not 100% sure on yours. But most were rivets originally. I did tap for small screws though on atleast one SB. But rivets should be easy and cheap to come by if you know the size.

Guess I’ll just need to buy one and report back, unfortunately the seller does not include the drive screws, so I’ll need to figure that out, thinking I’ll just tap it for a #3 or #4 machine screw so it can be easily removed in the future if needed

I replaced the drive screws with stainless 2-56 button head hex drive screws. The holes were the right size for the tap. I think they look good.

gearbox.jpg

(Sorry. Couldn't figure out how to delete the duplicate image.)

Attachments

• gearbox.jpg
    gearbox.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 56
  • gearbox.jpg
    gearbox.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 42
I replaced the drive screws with stainless 2-56 button head hex drive screws. The holes were the right size for the tap. I think they look good.

View attachment 339756

(Sorry. Couldn't figure out how to delete the duplicate image.)

Thanks for the info, I ordered a tag so we’ll see how it looks, I haven’t measured the hole to see what size screw to use, it had drive screws originally, the machine was built during the war, and had a war board tag on it originally, the original tag was aluminum. When I get my new tag I’ll report back.

Was that forum member Thomas?
IIRC he had some going that were perfect.

Yup. I follow him on IG and he posts some of his work that he does for machine rebuilders. Incredibly good looking etched brass and metal - and he paints and polishes them.

Here's a random one

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 9.52.56 PM.jpg

Yup. I follow him on IG and he posts some of his work that he does for machine rebuilders. Incredibly good looking etched brass and metal - and he paints and polishes them.

Here's a random one

View attachment 339979

I just found him on Instagram and shot him a message, my gearbox tag came in yesterday, it looks to be later etched on anodized aluminum, the holes for mounting it are not drilled, overall I’d say it’s not too bad, it would be functional, but not as nice as that guys work.

Back