What's new
What's new

South Bend Heavy 10

Dtapster

Aluminum
New person to the forum who has limited experience with metal lathes. My father was a machinist but I never learned the skill. Now retired and think I need to scratch that gene. Found this Heavy 10 for sale in my area and would be interested in your assessment and opinions from these sketchy photos. Haven't looked at it yet and don't yet have the serial #; hopefully this coming week for both. Machine is in storage right now.

Comes with supposedly a full set of 5C collets and drawbar and the chucks shown in the pictures.

Thanks,

Doug

127809042_10224698303184527_3925027734083773130_o.jpg127698433_10224698301944496_9129021705437334470_o.jpg127858068_10224698303504535_7783844462349524126_o.jpg127754084_10224698302664514_1250847436601473780_o.jpg127890351_10224698302384507_3365514467889556520_o.jpg

if its in your price range and you have the room for it do it get bit by the bug its a fun ride

Definitely a project, so know going in that it will most likely need to be taken apart and thoroughly
cleaned. It's not a hard project; just one that takes time and patience. Plus you'll learn a lot about
your machine afterwards. Plenty of good books that will help you too.

I like that you have the right cabinet. If you haven't negotiated already, I'd make sure that everything turns.
And if even if only for a few seconds, make sure the motor runs fwd and reverse. Engage the two tumblers
on the gear box (far left positions) and see if the lead screw turns okay. You can do this manually by turning the
pulley cones (under the guard) if need be. (The lead screw is the long threaded part that runs the length of the lathe). A photo of the gears on the left side would have been good to see. Make sure you check all the gears to make sure none have broken teeth. However, most can be replaced with used ones off that auction site.

I like these 10" lathes.
Don't get into this unless you know you are fully committed. Do it for yourself, not necessarily for
your Dad. These are really cool machines and capable of very precise work. Do a YouTube search for 10" South Bend lathes and you'll see lots of informative videos. Or even do an image search for SB 10" lathes.

Good luck!

PMc

View attachment 310880

Look for wear on the bed, an edge will form, a little is ok fir the right price a lot is bad. That is the single tumbler gear box, the double is worth more money. If the price is right I’m sure you will be happy, the prices of the south bend stuff had gone crazy

South Bend Heavy 10.jpg

Here is an example picture the seller posted with the ad. Supposedly it is a representation of the lathe (didn't post it initially because it was #6.) It is stored in such a tight space looks like it was difficult to get additional pics.

Doug

Found this Heavy 10 for sale in my area and would be interested in your assessment and opinions from these sketchy photos. Haven't looked at it yet and don't yet have the serial #; hopefully this coming week for both. Machine is in storage right now.

If you've been around here much, you'll know that checking the ways near the headstock for wear is the best way to determine the use/abuse of a lathe. The serial number won't really do you much good, as a low use "War Production" lathe can be in better shape than a heavily abused 1963 version.

And having us assess the shape from a few sketchy photos is going to be problematic for you. To fully assess a lathe pretty much requires a "hands-on" approach, which means you're going to have to do it.

If you've been around here much, you'll know that checking the ways near the headstock for wear is the best way to determine the use/abuse of a lathe. The serial number won't really do you much good, as a low use "War Production" lathe can be in better shape than a heavily abused 1963 version.

And having us assess the shape from a few sketchy photos is going to be problematic for you. To fully assess a lathe pretty much requires a "hands-on" approach, which means you're going to have to do it.

Thanks for your perspective. I've been around here a lot the last week or so. While I'm definitely a novice when it comes to operating metal lathes, I do have a feel for mechanical things. The purpose of posting the "sketchy" photos was not to have anyone assess the shape of the machine necessarily or make a buying decision for me. More trained eyes than mine can surely see things, especially those that are evident, mine can't at this point.

Of course I'll have to look at the lathe myself. I will not be able to see it operate under power, problematic I know. All those things will determine how much I'm willing to pay for somewhat of a "pig in a poke." Throw in that these lathes are not generally readily available in my region and the plot thickens.

Hope this clears up my intentions. Again, any useful information that can be gleaned by the trained eyes here would be appreciated.

Doug

Yep, a one-tumbler gear box...my bad.

I enlarged your wide shot photo and just based on that, the lathe looks original at least. The threading plate
still has the original tap-in brads/rivets so at least that hasn't been replaced. Fairly sure the large indicator dials
on the cross-slide and compound rest are original for that model, so those are nice to have. Power switch and bracket look original too.

The other good thing is that it looks to have been properly stored and not left outside to rust; even a bit of grease still on the ways is a good sign.

Yes, wear on the ways can be an issue, and without a real close-up photo, we can't tell. Sure there will be wear,
but probably not enough to be a deal breaker. But you know, these things are brutes and damn near bullet proof.
I do wish it had more tooling and goodies, but often times these extras get tossed or sold off.
As long as you're happy with the cost, I'd say go for it. If it were near Houston, I'd be taking a look myself.

Original 10L lathes like these don't come available everyday, but when they do, they are halfway across the country.
Even if you change your mind later on while in your garage, you can more than likely get your back money out of it. Profit...probably not.

Let us know what you end up doing!

PMc

Yep, pain in the ass to move...get some good heavy machine movers and don't drop it!

Thanks to all for your observations, recommendations and encouragement! I'll report back the results, whatever they wind up being.

Doug

Looks like I'm dealing with a "reluctant" seller. Over a week now and no meaningful response. When a follow-up note was sent asking when the SN and additional photos might be forthcoming, the two-word response was, "not soon."

Machine still advertised for sale. The quest continues.

Doug

Looks like I'm dealing with a "reluctant" seller. Over a week now and no meaningful response. When a follow-up note was sent asking when the SN and additional photos might be forthcoming, the two-word response was, "not soon."

Machine still advertised for sale. The quest continues.

Doug

Well that right there is a $200 deduction for having a pain-in-the-ass seller,
and I'd wait as long as he did before responding again. Or just move on
altogether. :nutter:

I'm not entirely sure what the diff is between a Heavy 10 and a "regular" 10" (K?),
or if that even matters to you, but I'd opt for a newer version with the dual tumbler QCGB.

PMc

View attachment 311709

Back