What's new
What's new

South Bend Heavy 10 on Portland, OR Craigslist

Ten grand...
He's obviously very much in love with it.
Good thing, he's going to have it for a long time to come if he really believes that's a "deal".

I bet he does sell it for near asking price.

if the condition is right then it all you could want in a 10L.

Not saying I would buy it but it will sell.

I've heard it said there is a sucker born every min..... he's obviously trolling for one.

That whole add/spiel has got a bad smell to it. I'll bet ya dollars to doughnuts he didn't pay anything near that.

It is actually worth that. if truly mint...but likely nobody will pay.and with taper attachment.

I had a chance two years ago to buy a new late model USA built SB heavy 10 for $5,000 and passed the deal...

If I hit the loto this week i might go for it.

I agree it's an excellent example and very well tooled. What I didn't care for was the sales pitch (and what I consider an over the top price). He's claiming one owner yet it's on castors and not hooked to power. Next he'll say he bought it new and driven by the proverbial little old lady.

I've heard it said there is a sucker born every min..... he's obviously trolling for one.

That whole add/spiel has got a bad smell to it. I'll bet ya dollars to doughnuts he didn't pay anything near that.

What is wrong with capitalism?

Not a thing, it falls right in line with greed, which I just don't condone. For 10k I expect a little more for my money. I did take time to rethink if I had spoken in haste. On a great day I couldn't see more then 5k. I'm sure location plays a part but I just can't see a 2 to 1 difference in the money. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

If one is buying it for a hobby machine its high priced
If buying it for money paying jobs its a ok deal.
They don't come up like that every day. I would buy it but but but I don't have the bucks
There are people that would buy it. Not a foolish deal. To me.
Lots of goody's with it.

I don't know where he got the idea it was made in the last year of U.S.A. production. That machine was made in 1980-81 given the serial number. They were definitely made in the U.S.A. into the 1990's.....
Yes a very clean machine, $7500???
MJC

I don't know where he got the idea it was made in the last year of U.S.A. production. That machine was made in 1980-81 given the serial number. They were definitely made in the U.S.A. into the 1990's.....
MJC

I found a note I made in my _Serial Number Reference Book_ of seeing a Heavy 10 on ebay in October 2013, serial number 23192R. Seller stated that per information from South Bend Lathe this machine was new in 1999. Maybe SBLatheman could tell us when the last Heavy 10 was built in the U.S.

Also this Craigslist ad says current South Bends are built in Japan. It's been my understanding that they are built in Taiwan, though I couldn't immediately see a statement to this effect in the South Bend section of my 2018 Grizzly catalogue.

David

MJC

$7500 is more appropriate.

The sales pitch was pretty bad. But, It will probably sale for near what he is asking and it can make money for its new owner. Some may not want to pay that much for it but, that doesn't keep it from being a good buy. It has near all of the extras that are so sought after.
A few years back I bought one like it except 3.5' bed and just a bit better tooled. Everyone said it was way over priced. It was in excellent condition and ready to be put to work, and has paid for itself several times over.

Ten grand is LOONEY TOONS.

Gimme this Standard Modern- that SB can't dream of doing half of what its capable of- for about half the price. I love my SB, and there's always buyers with more money than sense- but that doesn't change what the true range of value is based on current listings and actual sales prices paid.

Six grand...

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/352237480600

I found a note I made in my _Serial Number Reference Book_ of seeing a Heavy 10 on ebay in October 2013, serial number 23192R. Seller stated that per information from South Bend Lathe this machine was new in 1999. Maybe SBLatheman could tell us when the last Heavy 10 was built in the U.S.

Also this Craigslist ad says current South Bends are built in Japan. It's been my understanding that they are built in Taiwan, though I couldn't immediately see a statement to this effect in the South Bend section of my 2018 Grizzly catalogue.

David

The Heavy 10 was built in South Bend up until about 2003. I don’t know exactly, I wasn’t working there at the time. It wasn’t ever built in Japan, Taiwan, or Korea (although some of the components were made in Korea). The 10K was made in Korea after the early 80’s (although some of the components were made in South Bend)
The so called “Heavy 10” sold by the new South Bend Lathe (grizzly) is made in Tiawan,I believe, since the other machines with the SBL label they sell are.
Ted

Guys, a new bare bone grizzly heavy 10 with stand is 9000 not including all the attachments, shipping, tax, etc. that being said i would buy that machine ( if in like new condition ) any day of the week.. ill take USA over Asian any day of the week..

just my humble opinion...

The Heavy 10 was built in South Bend up until about 2003. I don’t know exactly, I wasn’t working there at the time. It wasn’t ever built in Japan, Taiwan, or Korea (although some of the components were made in Korea). The 10K was made in Korea after the early 80’s (although some of the components were made in South Bend)
The so called “Heavy 10” sold by the new South Bend Lathe (grizzly) is made in Tiawan,I believe, since the other machines with the SBL label they sell are.
Ted

Thank you very much for this information Ted. Do you know the last year of production for the 13 and 16 inch South Bends? My _Serial Number Reference Book_, 11th ed., © 1994 gives no serial numbers later than 1987 for these machines. For that matter 1987 is the last year they give serial numbers for a whole bunch of South Bend models including the South Bend 14.

Then they resume with 1994 for the Heavy 10 (23121R), the Chipmaster milling machines, the revived Turn-Nado line and the 626-T 13 plus some others. There's a gap of several years, 1987-1994, for the Heavy 10; was it out of production for awhile?

I went to IMTS in 1994 and South Bend had a nice display with their new Chipmaster mills and Turn-Nado lathes. Up front was the "South Bend Classic", "The Heavy 10", "Built in U.S.A."

David

Back