What's new
What's new

South Bend Heavy 10 project

BMKoenig

Plastic
This past weekend I picked up a South Bend Heavy 10 for what I thought was a good deal. It's in what I would call average shape, not mint, but not terrible. It's about what you would expect from something sitting out in a shed. There are only a few spots of surface rust as the thing is covered in grime which protected it from the condensation.

It came with a 3 jaw, 4 jaw, dog plate, and face plate. I'll be looking for some parts as the restoration proceeds, most especially a thread dial, and steady rest.

20190217_125227.jpg

The treading dial you will need if you plan to do much threading. The steady rest....not so much. I have one for my Heavy 10 and I've used it maybe 4 times in the 7+ years I've had it.

I think that lathe will clean up nice. I do not use my steady rest much either on my 10 inch, but nice to have one..

Lack of a thread soak will not prevent you from threading, but when you need a steady rest Then you need a steady rest. I wouldn't stress out about either.

I've been happy with my heavy ten. I think you'll like yours. (I'm in the "clean it and run it" school too, but that's a different discussion.)

31257293-8A58-4AA6-ABA5-476F2605DA91.jpg

Nice that the drawer knobs are still attached.

They are hard to come by if missing.

Mine has five drawers and the Original knobs were long gone when I bought my lathe, 5-years ago.

Bought mine for $400, total. It’s a 1943, 10L, 4 1/2 foot bed and original Metric transposing Gears, set of draw in 5C collets, etc.

Sent away for the factory Serial Card that listed the original customer and options, accessories, etc.

I decided to clean and run mine, removing parts for restoration along the way. Still have a ways to go, particularly the cabinet and chip tray. Good luck on your restoration.

I just bought the thread dial three weeks or so ago, and the steady rest a few weeks before the TD. I think the steady rest will be useful when I need to face stock that won’t fit through the headstock. Mine also came with a follower rest. Haven’t tried it yet.

Mine has the original motor, 208 Volt, 3-Phase, so I bought a VFD to replace the old burned-out Phase Converter and run on 110 single-phase current.

Attachments

• ABC76474-7062-4549-9C39-489309BE314F.jpg
    ABC76474-7062-4549-9C39-489309BE314F.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 104
Looks much like mine did when I got it from a barn 25 years ago. Did a full strip down and cosmetic resto. and it has worked great ever since. Unless you don't plan on cutting anything other than "divide by 8" threads you will need a thread dial. A steady rest is very handy so is a follower rest. Have some fun and make your own if you can't find used.

Back